Re: [Lambengolmor] _Singollo_ - what a language is it?

  • Andreas Johansson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2004
      Quoting Patrick H. Wynne:

      > [If _Singollo_ is simply a contraction of _Sindicollo_, then we
      > must wonder why, e.g., Fingon's Quenya name _Findekáno_
      > (XII:345) did not similarly contract to **_Fingáno_? At the very
      > least, it seems probable that if _Singollo_ is in fact a contraction
      > of _Sindicollo_, it was not due to normal phonological processes
      > in Quenya, but was a later, Exilic modification of the original
      > Quenya form under the influence of S. _Thingol_. -- PHW]

      I don't think anyone is saying that _Sindicollo_>_Singollo_ was a
      *regular* development. It does not seem like Quenya compounds
      normally underwent such contractions.

      The possibility exists that the variant Quenya forms represent
      various ideas about the exact derivation of Sindarin (Noldorin)
      _Thingol_. In _Etym._, the name is referred to THIN and ÑGOL
      (with the meaning "grey-wise" rather than "greymantle"), which
      roots might every plausibly underlie a Qenya formation _Singollo_,
      although the exact derivation suggested under THIN, from
      Doriathrin _Thind_ (Q cognate _Sindo_) and _gol_ (Q cognate
      _nóle_), does not suggest it.

      Andreas

      [Nonetheless, Q. _Singollo_ is explicitly glossed 'Greymantle'
      in the later _Quenta Silmarillion_: "Elwë Singollo, which signifies
      Greymantle" (X:163). -- PHW]