Re: [Lambengolmor] _Singollo_ - what a language is it?

  • Andreas Johansson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2004
      Quoting galadhorn <galadhorn@...>:

      > Reading "The Silmarillion" you must have seen the curious form of
      > Elu Thingol's (or Elu-thingol's) name: Elwë _Singollo_. Have you
      > ever tried to guess from which language this form comes?
      [snip]

      It could also simply be a contraction of _Sindicollo_; indeed, this
      explanation has been advanced on Elfling.

      But seeing it as a half-Quenyaization of Thingol seems attractive.

      -- Andreas

      [If _Singollo_ is simply a contraction of _Sindicollo_, then we
      must wonder why, e.g., Fingon's Quenya name _Findekáno_
      (XII:345) did not similarly contract to **_Fingáno_? At the very
      least, it seems probable that if _Singollo_ is in fact a contraction
      of _Sindicollo_, it was not due to normal phonological processes
      in Quenya, but was a later, Exilic modification of the original
      Quenya form under the influence of S. _Thingol_. -- PHW]
    • Andreas Johansson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2004
        Quoting Patrick H. Wynne:

        > [If _Singollo_ is simply a contraction of _Sindicollo_, then we
        > must wonder why, e.g., Fingon's Quenya name _Findekáno_
        > (XII:345) did not similarly contract to **_Fingáno_? At the very
        > least, it seems probable that if _Singollo_ is in fact a contraction
        > of _Sindicollo_, it was not due to normal phonological processes
        > in Quenya, but was a later, Exilic modification of the original
        > Quenya form under the influence of S. _Thingol_. -- PHW]

        I don't think anyone is saying that _Sindicollo_>_Singollo_ was a
        *regular* development. It does not seem like Quenya compounds
        normally underwent such contractions.

        The possibility exists that the variant Quenya forms represent
        various ideas about the exact derivation of Sindarin (Noldorin)
        _Thingol_. In _Etym._, the name is referred to THIN and ÑGOL
        (with the meaning "grey-wise" rather than "greymantle"), which
        roots might every plausibly underlie a Qenya formation _Singollo_,
        although the exact derivation suggested under THIN, from
        Doriathrin _Thind_ (Q cognate _Sindo_) and _gol_ (Q cognate
        _nóle_), does not suggest it.

        Andreas

        [Nonetheless, Q. _Singollo_ is explicitly glossed 'Greymantle'
        in the later _Quenta Silmarillion_: "Elwë Singollo, which signifies
        Greymantle" (X:163). -- PHW]