Re: Intrusive _i_ in Sindarin

  • elchithui
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2004
      --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, BertrandBellet75@a... wrote:

      > Something similar could quite well be the origin of the
      > intrusive i of Sindarin. This would explain that some stems
      > regularly develop an _i_ before endings, as said above, and
      > that we observe variations in suffixes, like _-and_ / _-iand_
      > as a place suffix (e.g. _Rochand_ vs. _Beleriand_, _Ossiriand_,
      > _Brethiliand_ UT:412).

      I think I might have found one more proof confirming your theory.
      We have _giliath_ vs. _Remmirath_ in LR 1:3, translated as 'Netted
      Stars' but literally meaning of course 'netted jewels'. So, from
      _mír_ we have _mirath_, not **_miriath_. I think it confirms that stem
      vowel _i_ does not cause 'intrusive _i_', or at least is not the only
      reason.

      Katarzyna Staniewska

      [And yet in the _Etymologies_ (V:373) we find _Mirion_, "ordinary
      N. name of the _Silevril_ (_Silmarilli_), pl. _Miruin_", in which the
      ending _ion_ is apparently an "i-intruded" variant of the augmentative
      _-on_ seen also in, e.g., _annon_ 'great gate' cited in Bertrand's
      post. It should also be noted that N. _gîl_ 'star' in the _Etymologies_
      is said to derive from *_gilya_ (V:358), so that _-iath_ in _giliath_
      does not contain an intrusive _i_ but rather retains a vestige of
      the original ending _-ya_. PHW]