Intrusive _i_ in Sindarin

  • BertrandBellet75@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004
      In this post I would like to discuss the fact that in Sindarin, some stems
      seem to be extended by an additional _i_ when a suffix is added. We could call
      it the "intrusive i".

      In his article "Reconstructing the Sindarin Verb System" on Ardalambion
      (<http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/sverb-rec.htm>), Helge Fauskanger
      propounds a phonetic origin by palatalisation for the intrusive i. Quoting:

      "One curious feature of Sindarin is that when an ending is added to a
      syllable including the vowel _i_, this vowel is in some instances "echoed" before
      the ending. For instance, the derivational ending _-as_ (attested in many
      words) is suddenly lengthened to _-ias _in the word _�nias_ "annals", derived from
      _�n_ "year" (entry YEN in Etym). The augmenting ending _-on_ (RGEO:73) is
      likewise well attested in this form, e.g. in _annon_ "great gate" and _aearon_
      "[great] sea", but when it is added to _s�r_ "river", the resulting form is
      not **_S�ron_, but _S�rion_ (name of the great river of Beleriand). The
      "extra" i turning up in the middle of this name is not the remnant of some original
      ending that is otherwise lost: The older form of _s�r_ is cited as _s�re_
      rather than _*siri_ in Etym, entry SIR (where the name _Sirion_ is also
      mentioned). It seems that in certain environments, an "echoic _i_" turns up before
      endings that are added to stems with the stem-vowel _i_. This seems to occur
      following the consonants _r_, _l_, and _n_. Perhaps Tolkien's idea is that these
      consonants were at some stage palatalized following _i_. Later, the resulting
      palatal consonants _*rj_, _*lj_, _*nj _turned into _ri_, _li_, _ni_ in front
      of endings, the palatal quality of the consonant splitting from it and
      manifesting as a distinct vowel _i_."

      This looks appealing, but is unfortunately contradicted by words like the
      well-known _minas_"tower": if this law were really active in Sindarin, one
      would expect _**minias_ instead.

      [Unless _minas_ is an orthographic variant for phonological and etymological
      _minnas_, which does occur, e.g. _Minnas-tirith_, XI:38, 54, 125. CFH]

      In addition, I do not think that the ON form _s�re_ (V:385; the acute is in
      fact a macron in the manuscript, cf. VT46:13) proves anything: as in Quenya,
      this could very well be a final _-e_ modified from a primitive _-i_, but
      preserved when becoming non-final by suffixation. We have a standard Q
      example in the couple _s�re_ "wind" MC:222, instrumental _s�rinen_,
      RGEO:66-7, and Helge demonstrated in his article "The Evolution from
      Primitive Elvish to Quenya" (<http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qevolution.pdf>) ,
      p. 21 bottom note) that this alternation was present in ON too, and consequently
      of Common Eldarin age.

      It is interesting in this respect to note that Tolkien reconstructed in
      V:356 the prototype of Q _etsir_ / N (and later S) _ethir_ "mouth of a river" as
      _*etsiri_. Thus the explanation of the intrusive _i_ as the result of an ancient
      morpheme, lost finally but preserved medially, remains quite likely.

      Now, there is something quite similar in Welsh, and I think it deserves to be
      looked at. Here also, some endings are often extended by an i (with the
      difference that it is phonetically [j] in Welsh and not a vowel as in Sindarin.
      Examples:

      - the plural endings _-au_ / _-iau_ : _llyfr_ "book" pl. _llyfrau_ vs.
      _taith_ "travel" pl. _teithiau_

      - the plural endings _-on_ / _-ion_ : _meddyg_ "doctor" pl. _meddygon_ vs.
      _dyn_ "man" pl. _dynion_

      - the verb-noun endings _-o_ / _-io_ : vs. _bwyd_ "food" / _bwydo "to feed"
      vs. _gwaith_ "work" / _gweithio "to work"

      - the nominal suffix _-ad_ / _-iad_ making nouns from verbs : treiglo "to
      roll, to mutate" / _treiglad_ "rolling, mutation" vs. _ethol_ "to choose, to
      elect" / _etholiad_ "election"

      - the agentive element _-wr_ / _-iwr_ : vs. _rheol_ "rule, order" /
      _rheolwr_ "manager" vs. _gwaith_ "work" / _gweithiwr_ "worker"

      John Morris-Jones gives the following explanation in _A Welsh Grammar,
      Historical and Comparative_ (fourth edition, Oxford University Press, 1953) p.
      38:

      "Many stems end in [consonantal] i, which appears before all inflexional
      endings beginning with a vowel (with the exceptions mentioned in � 36), but it is
      dropped when the stem has no ending; thus _myfyriaf_ "I meditate",
      _myfyriant_ "they meditate", _myfyrio_ "to meditate", _myfyriol_ "meditating", but
      _myfyr_ "meditation".

      In words borrowed from Lat., the [consonantal] i can be traced to its source
      in short i; thus _myfyr_ < _memoria_; _synn, syniaf_ < _sentio_; _ystyr,
      ystyriaf_ < _historia_. In native words it represents original [consonantal] i,
      as in _d?n_ "man", pl. _dynion_ from Kelt. _*donios_ : Ir. _duine_ (...)"

      He then explains that there are phonetic conditionings to the appearance of
      the i; some root vowels, especially ei / ai, often point to a stem in i.

      Conversely, there are some environments where the i regularly drops. Later in the
      book (e.g. p.199, 200) we learn that the i-extended variants are now also
      used as endings of their own, especially with borrowed words, e.g. _-iau_ forms
      the plurals of many loan words: _hetiau_ "hats", _capiau_ "caps", _bratiau_
      "aprons". With verbs, we have for instance _parciau_ "to park", _teipio_ "to
      type", _stopio_ "to stop"... and on the Welsh Web you can find _clicio yma!_
      "click here!". This shows that the collocations of i + ending have been
      reanalysed as new endings, parallel but independent from the original; and the
      new longer ones have a tendency to spread at the expense of the old shorter
      ones (_-ad_ for instance is almost restricted to contexts where i drops,
      otherwise _-iad_ is normally found).

      Something similar could quite well be the origin of the intrusive i of
      Sindarin. This would explain that some stems regularly develop an _i_ before
      endings, as said above, and that we observe variations in suffixes, like _-and_ /
      _-iand_ as a place suffix (e.g. _Rochand_ vs. _Beleriand_, _Ossiriand_,
      _Brethiliand_ UT:412).

      Bertrand Bellet

    • elchithui
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2004
        --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, BertrandBellet75@a... wrote:

        > Something similar could quite well be the origin of the
        > intrusive i of Sindarin. This would explain that some stems
        > regularly develop an _i_ before endings, as said above, and
        > that we observe variations in suffixes, like _-and_ / _-iand_
        > as a place suffix (e.g. _Rochand_ vs. _Beleriand_, _Ossiriand_,
        > _Brethiliand_ UT:412).

        I think I might have found one more proof confirming your theory.
        We have _giliath_ vs. _Remmirath_ in LR 1:3, translated as 'Netted
        Stars' but literally meaning of course 'netted jewels'. So, from
        _mír_ we have _mirath_, not **_miriath_. I think it confirms that stem
        vowel _i_ does not cause 'intrusive _i_', or at least is not the only
        reason.

        Katarzyna Staniewska

        [And yet in the _Etymologies_ (V:373) we find _Mirion_, "ordinary
        N. name of the _Silevril_ (_Silmarilli_), pl. _Miruin_", in which the
        ending _ion_ is apparently an "i-intruded" variant of the augmentative
        _-on_ seen also in, e.g., _annon_ 'great gate' cited in Bertrand's
        post. It should also be noted that N. _gîl_ 'star' in the _Etymologies_
        is said to derive from *_gilya_ (V:358), so that _-iath_ in _giliath_
        does not contain an intrusive _i_ but rather retains a vestige of
        the original ending _-ya_. PHW]