PE14:56 erratum: "it is soiled" >> "it is eaten"

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2004
      In the manuscript version of the "Early Qenya Grammar" (PE15:56)
      _ha-matsir_ is translated 'it is soiled' but the verb _mat-_ = 'to eat'
      op cit.:57), and _hamatsir_ is later translated as 'one eats it, it is eaten'.
      Did Tolkien make a mistake?

      E. Kloczko

      [No, but we did! Tolkien's handwriting proved elusive here; the gloss
      really does look a lot like 'soiled', but is in fact 'eaten', as you correctly
      deduced. (The word is written with a stylized, heightened, and unusually
      epsilon-like initial 'e' that really does look like his 's', including the 's'
      that occurs immediately before it; the 'a' is elongated with the result that
      it looks very like an 'oi' that have become joined together; and the 't' has
      a loop that is unusual, but not unheard-of; but on closer inspectiion there
      is no doubt that the correct reading is 'eaten'. Thanks for catching this! CFH]
    • K. R. Harris
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 2004
        'PE14:56 erratum: "it is soiled" >> "it is eaten"'
        'In the manuscript version of the "Early Qenya Grammar"; (PE15:56)...'

        The subject heading and the text cite two different issues of _Parma
        Eldalamberon_, 14 and 15. Which is correctly being corrected? I want to
        clarify for my notes as I don't currently own either edition but have a list
        of errata for future reference. Thank you.

        Kevin Harris

        [Grrrrrr. It should read "PE14" in both cases. My mistake. Sorry! CFH]

        [By the way, note the "official" catalogue of errata for VT and PE at:
        <http://www.elvish.org/errata/> CFH]