Re: _ninqita-_ 'shine white' vs. _ninqitá-_ 'whiten'

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2004
      If _ninqitá-_ 'whiten' has a causative suffix, which seems to be
      the case, why do we have _tulta-_ 'send for, fetch, summon'
      (< *_tultâ-_ 'make come' < TUL- (cf. VT46:20) and not **_tultá-_?

      E. Kloczko

      [I would hesitate to call what we see in _ninqitá-_ a "suffix". Given
      the frequent and apparently free variation we see in prehistoric Eldarin
      forms between long and short vowels in word- and stem-final position
      (denoted by Tolkien as a macron with a breve over it), I would guess that
      the actual case is one of _selection_ of variant forms in _association_
      with distinguished meaning: thus, in this scenario, the long form was
      selected and associated with the causitive and/or inchoative sense (the
      gloss 'whiten' is itself ambiguous: it could mean "to cause something to
      become white" or the process of a thing itself becoming whiter), and the
      short for the intransitive/stative sense; and the length difference then
      retained _because_ it maintained the distinction in meaning. To what
      extent this selection formed a pattern in other cases is unclear. CFH]