Omentielva Minya -- Call for Papers

  • "Beregond. Anders Stenström"
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2004
      CALL FOR PAPERS

      The First International Conference on J.R.R. Tolkien's Invented
      Languages ("Omentielva Minya")
      August 4 to 8, 2005
      University of Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden
      <www.omentielva.com>

      For Omentielva Minya we call for scholarly papers on all aspects
      of any or all of Tolkien's invented languages, in any or all of their
      conceptual stages.

      The proceedings of the conference will be published in the first
      volume of a new special series, _Arda Philology_. The volume
      from this first conference will be made available to the attendees
      as a benefit of membership, and (subject to availability and at a
      price yet to be determined) to all other interested parties. Our
      intention is that it be stimulating and insightful enough to show up
      on the reference shelf of every serious scholar of Tolkien.

      To propose a paper, send an abstract to Beregond, Anders
      Stenström, the Papers Coordinator (address below). The deadline
      for proposals is October 15, 2004. Do not make the abstract too
      short; a couple of hundred words will normally be needed (but it
      of course depends on the complexity of your subject). You do
      not need to have your conclusions all worked out in the proposal,
      but delineate how you intend to reach them. Append a short
      presentation of yourself (four lines or less).

      We expect the presentation of a paper to take 40 minutes. But we
      aim at a single-thread programme, and so can accomodate papers
      of varying length. Please specify how long you expect to speak.
      Be prepared for questions and discussion at the end of your
      presentation.

      Copyright or similar considerations may apply. Indicate in your
      proposal if you plan to use significant excerpts of source material
      in your paper, so that the Tolkien Estate, and other copyright
      holders, can be contacted about all required permissions. In that
      case we will want a full version of your paper by February 1
      (otherwise you may get a later term).

      If you wish to submit a paper but can not attend the conference,
      you may send a paper to be read and discussed. In the latter
      case, state any directions or preferences you may have for the
      presentation.

      Beregond, Anders Stenström
      <beregond@...>
      Götgatan 20 C
      752 22 Uppsala
      Sweden
    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004
        I have another corrigendum to _The Etymologies_, one that I suspected
        long before I had access to photocopies of the manuscript, but which I
        failed to mention in the course of proofreading the most recent issue
        of _Vinyar Tengwar_.

        The entry in question is SKYAP-, in which _*skyapat_ (whence Q
        _hyapat_) and N _habad_ are both glossed as 'shore'. I believe that
        the correct gloss in both instances is 'shoe'. The curve in the line
        connecting the top of the _o_ with the bottom of the _e_ in the
        manuscript does look like it could be an _r_ (especially in the first
        instance), but my theory is supported by the following forms:

        Qenya _hyapa_ 'shoe' (QL pp. 41, 82 s.v. SAYAPA); _hyapa_ 'shoe' also
        appears in later unpublished materials; Goldogrin _habin_ 'shoe' (GL p. 47).

        [Agreed. Thanks! CFH]

        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

        Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
        --Elvish proverb