Tolkien Language Conference, Stockholm 2005

  • Bill Welden
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2004
      It is now less than a year until:

      The First International Conference on J.R.R. Tolkien's Invented
      Languages (Informally "Omentielva Minya", or just "Omentielva")
      August 4 to 8, 2005
      University of Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden
      Chairman: Bill Welden
      Papers Coordinator: Beregond, Anders Stenström
      Facility Coordinator: Professor Nils-Lennart Johannesson
      Membership: US$90 through July 4, 2005

      Note that our web address has changed (from .org to .com).

      Now would be a great time to register and to begin to think about
      your travel plans.

      The following thirty-one people are currently planning on attending:
      Rich Alderson, Cirk Bejnar, Måns Björkman, Ales Bican, Bertrand
      Bellet, Beregond, Julian Bradfield, Ryszard Derdzinski, Ivan
      Derzhanski, Terry Dock, Helge Fauskanger, Hans-Jürgen Fischer,
      Björn Fromén, John Garth, Ann-Sofie Gyllenhaal, Pavel Iosad,
      Nils-Lennart Johannesson, Benkt Philip Jonsson, David Kiltz, Edouard
      Klozko, Per Lindberg, Candon Maclean, Carolyn Noonan, Mark
      Noseworthy, Catherine Otis, Boris Shapiro, Fredrik Ström, Petri
      Tikka, Bill Welden, Didier Willis, and Magnus Ågberg.

      Others have indicated an interest as well, ranging from "will
      probably attend" to "don't count me out just yet".

      Everyone is encouraged to prepare, bring, and deliver a paper on any
      aspect of Tolkien's languages. The program will consist of listening
      to and discussing the papers; as well as meeting each other, breaking
      bread together, and generally enjoying each other's company.
      Registration includes basic food and sleeping space (though you may
      want to make additional arrangements yourself for both -- see the web
      site for more information).

      This will be the first of a series of biennial conferences. The
      location of the second (2007) conference will be announced at this
      first conference, and we will also vote on proposals for the site of
      the third (2009). If you are interested in hosting the 2007
      conference or in presenting a proposal for the 2009 conference,
      please contact me right away at BillW@....

      The proceedings of these conferences will be published in a new
      special series, _Arda Philology_. The volume from this first
      conference will be made available to the attendees as a benefit of
      membership, and (subject to availability and at a price yet to be
      determined) to all other interested parties. Our intention is that it
      be stimulating and insightful enough to show up on the reference
      shelf of every serious scholar of Tolkien. You do not need to deliver
      a paper to attend, nor do you need to attend to send a paper (we will
      certainly find someone to read it for you); but we hope you do both.

      There is more information (and you can sign up) at our web site:

      Write to me at BillW@... with questions or feedback. For
      information about registration or papers (*especially* if you would
      like to present one) write to: Beregond@....

      This is going to be an exciting event, with lots of interesting
      people discussing all the interesting topics. If you think the
      conversation proceeds quickly here on-line, wait till you get in a
      room with thirty smart, passionate people who have been thinking
      about these issues for years (some for most of their lives). I'm
      really looking forward to it.

      I hope we see you there!

      Bill Welden
      Omentielva Minya