Re: [Lambengolmor] _Certh_

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2004
      On 26.06.2004, at 10:07, Patrick Wynne wrote:

      > It seems to me that the proper label for _*kirtĂȘ_ is probably
      > "Common Telerin", a term that also has the benefit of being
      > used by Tolkien himself. In "Quendi and Eldar" he writes: "The
      > derivatives of *KWEN were more sparingly represented in the
      > Telerin dialects, of Aman or Beleriand. This was in part due
      > to the Common Telerin change of _kw_ > _p_" (XI:375). -- PHW

      Quite possibly. I used 'Pre-Sindarin' as the most cautious
      denomination, as I feel that this is what we can confidently say about
      the form. As a dictionary label, Common Telerin (with a little note
      attached to it, perhaps) would be preferable. Or something like
      'Pre-Sindarin form (Common Telerin?)'.

      -David Kiltz