Erratum (Re: What did replace _glâ_ in GL?)

  • Helios De Rosario Martinez
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27 11:28 PM
      Helios De Rosario Martinez wrote:

      > In fact _glô_
      > inherites the parenthetical gloss of _glâ_, with nearly identical
      > words: "i.e., in sense, time sun is above horizon".

      Sorry, I should have written "In fact _gôl_ inherits...".

      Helios
    • cgilson75
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30 2:47 PM
        Helios makes some interesting observations! But I would suggest
        that the connections he points out are not necessarily inconsistent
        with what Patrick and I were trying to say.

        Note that the form that presumably coexisted with _glâ_ before it
        was altered and deleted was _gâl_ 'light; daylight' (or possibly
        _gâla), itself later altered to _gala_. In both forms the latter was
        seemingly conceived of as cognate with Q. _kala_. And when it
        coexisted with _glâ_ that too was cognate with Q. _kala_, and this
        was said to "show Q kala < kala~ & ka~la" (i.e. from a primitive
        form with either the first or the second _a_ long) the second
        option then changed to _kala3_. Later still the entry _glâ_ was
        deleted.

        When Patrick and I wrote that Gnomish _glâ_ was apparently
        replaced by _gala_, what we had in mind was its internal historical
        role, as being derived from a prehistoric source shared with Q
        _kala_ and also itself the source by derivation within Gnomish or
        pre-Gnomish of certain other forms, possibly including _glaim_,
        _glan_, _glaros_ and of course _oglad_, the last being the word
        that we were discussing.

        While the new form _glô_ takes over some formal properties of
        rejected _glâ_, with its initial cluster in an open monosyllable, and
        _gôl_ takes over some of its semantic properties, such as the
        extension of the idea of 'daylight' to refer to the time when
        daylight is present; these forms do not occupy the same historical
        position, since the related forms in _gla-_ cannot be derived from
        either _glô_ (which has its own derivative _glóna-_ 'to dawn') or
        _gôl_ as such. But they can derive from _gala_ if we suppose that
        in longer forms like _glaim_ and _glaros_ syncope of the first vowel
        occurs.

        It would perhaps then be more accurate to say that the GL ink-layer
        group of forms _gâl_ and _glâ_ was apparently replaced by the pencil-
        layer group of forms _gala_, _glô_ and _gôl_, with a simultaneous
        'shuffling' of their respective etymological and semantic roles
        within the larger context. And to specify more precisely which
        form replaces which depends on what area of the whole scheme
        one is considering.

        - Christopher Gilson

        --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, Helios De Rosario Martinez <imrahil@o.=..>