What did replace _glâ_ in GL?

  • Helios De Rosario Martinez
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2004
      [Initial note: In this message I will represent long vowels, marked
      with macron in the printed texts, with a tilde (~) after the vowel, in
      order to distinguish them from actual circumflexes.]

      In GL:39 is the entry _glâ_ 'day, daytime (time Sun is above
      horizon)', equated to Q _kala_ < _kala~_ & _kala3_ (first vowel with
      breve, 3 == yogh). It is between braces, thus representing that it was
      deleted in the manuscript.

      Patrick Wynne and Christopher Gilson stated in PE14:16 that it was
      "apparently replaced by _gala_ [GL:37], also equated with Q _kala_".
      However, I don't find that the occurrence of the Qenya cognates in
      both entries should induce one to believe that _gala_ replaced _glâ_.

      Maybe there are other evidences in the manuscript that point to that
      direction, but from the information shown in the Gnomish Lexicon as
      edited in PE11, it seems more likely that _gala_ and _glâ_ (<
      *_gala~_) were both compatible derivatives of _gal_- 'shine (golden,
      as the Sun)' (GL:37), since they both coexisted in the ink layer, and
      have different, complementary meanings. _Gala_ was related to
      (day)light, while _glâ_ was to (day)time.

      Other entries added to the manuscript in the pencil layer, as _glô_
      ('sunrise, dawn, daybreak') and _gôl_ ('daylight, day') (GL:40, 41)
      seem to me more probable substitutes of _glâ_. In fact _glô_
      inherites the parenthetical gloss of _glâ_, with nearly identical
      words: "i.e., in sense, time sun is above horizon".

      Helios

      [This certainly seems like a probable interpretation of the evidence
      to me. -- PHW]
    • Helios De Rosario Martinez
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2004
        Helios De Rosario Martinez wrote:

        > In fact _glô_
        > inherites the parenthetical gloss of _glâ_, with nearly identical
        > words: "i.e., in sense, time sun is above horizon".

        Sorry, I should have written "In fact _gôl_ inherits...".

        Helios
      • cgilson75
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
          Helios makes some interesting observations! But I would suggest
          that the connections he points out are not necessarily inconsistent
          with what Patrick and I were trying to say.

          Note that the form that presumably coexisted with _glâ_ before it
          was altered and deleted was _gâl_ 'light; daylight' (or possibly
          _gâla), itself later altered to _gala_. In both forms the latter was
          seemingly conceived of as cognate with Q. _kala_. And when it
          coexisted with _glâ_ that too was cognate with Q. _kala_, and this
          was said to "show Q kala < kala~ & ka~la" (i.e. from a primitive
          form with either the first or the second _a_ long) the second
          option then changed to _kala3_. Later still the entry _glâ_ was
          deleted.

          When Patrick and I wrote that Gnomish _glâ_ was apparently
          replaced by _gala_, what we had in mind was its internal historical
          role, as being derived from a prehistoric source shared with Q
          _kala_ and also itself the source by derivation within Gnomish or
          pre-Gnomish of certain other forms, possibly including _glaim_,
          _glan_, _glaros_ and of course _oglad_, the last being the word
          that we were discussing.

          While the new form _glô_ takes over some formal properties of
          rejected _glâ_, with its initial cluster in an open monosyllable, and
          _gôl_ takes over some of its semantic properties, such as the
          extension of the idea of 'daylight' to refer to the time when
          daylight is present; these forms do not occupy the same historical
          position, since the related forms in _gla-_ cannot be derived from
          either _glô_ (which has its own derivative _glóna-_ 'to dawn') or
          _gôl_ as such. But they can derive from _gala_ if we suppose that
          in longer forms like _glaim_ and _glaros_ syncope of the first vowel
          occurs.

          It would perhaps then be more accurate to say that the GL ink-layer
          group of forms _gâl_ and _glâ_ was apparently replaced by the pencil-
          layer group of forms _gala_, _glô_ and _gôl_, with a simultaneous
          'shuffling' of their respective etymological and semantic roles
          within the larger context. And to specify more precisely which
          form replaces which depends on what area of the whole scheme
          one is considering.

          - Christopher Gilson

          --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, Helios De Rosario Martinez <imrahil@o.=..>