Re: [Lambengolmor] The Sindarin suffixed article: agreement in number

  • Helios De Rosario Martinez
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2004
      Minas Tsulis wrote:

      > “Why, when the article in
      > the suffixed forms _-n_ and _-in_ can represent both numbers,
      > does the independent article have a clearly different form? And if
      > it does stand for both numbers, why bother with a different form
      > in the first place?”

      A nearly identical question is explicitly answered in detail by
      Tolkien himself, at the beginning of the Gnomish Grammar, recently
      reprinted in _Parma Eldalamberon_ #11. The first section, with the
      title "The article", says:

      "root _î_. This gave in the plural either _î_ or _în_ and in the
      genitive _în_, but ... _în-_ also developed in other cases_." (PE11:7;
      the circumflex representing a macron).

      Summarizing, there it is explained that the article _în_, though it
      originally had a grammatical function (it was the plural or genitive
      form of _î_), had in the "present usage" of Gnomish or Goldogrin a
      phonological function instead (it was chiefly prevocalic).

      Of course there may be significant differences between the Goldogrin
      and the later Sindarin article system; for instance, the Goldogrin
      genitive singular article was _na(n)_ according to the same Grammar,
      while a quick search in the Index of _The Silmarillion_ shows many
      Sindarin names where that article is _en_ instead: _Bar-en-Danwedh_,
      _Cabed-en-Aras_, _Haudh-en-Arwen_, _Haudh-en-Elleth_,
      _Haudh-en-Ndengin_, _Haudh-en-Nirnaeth_, or _Taur-en-Faroth_.
      Nevertheless, I find no evidence by which we should think that the
      duality of the Goldogrin nominative article _i_/_in_ was essentially
      different in Sindarin.

      Helios