Re: _haeron_ -- a minor correction

  • hisweloke
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2004
      I wrote:

      > Previously published in XII:273 (PM), the word _Gwahaedir_
      > was there used as the name of the Palantiri in Sindarin/Noldorin.

      Further to Patrick's correction to my post, it actually seems
      the slip in my notes was more serious and that all references
      got switched in my message as submitted. The above should read
      "Previously published in XII:186 (PM)..."

      Sorry for the inconvenience :(

      Didier.
    • Pavel Iosad
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2004

        Dider Willis wrote:

        >Under the stem GALÁN "bright", we find N. _glan_ "clear"
        >(first glossed as "daylight").
        >
        >This could perhaps be linked to _Curunír 'Lân_, an
        >Elvish (sur)name for Saruman the White (UT:390). People
        >had long deduced that _'lân_ could be a mutated adjective *_glân_,

        Which is not at all surprising, given its outstanding
        similarity with the Welsh word _glan_ 'clear, bright'
        (where the vowel, incidentally, is long, which is
        concealed by Welsh orthographic convention).

        >related to other derivatives of GAL/ÑAL -- but along with
        >this hitherto unpublished entry, we could perhaps
        >interpret it more precisely as "white, *(shining as bright
        >light)".

        I agree. It must be pointed out that this association of
        these senses with this form must have followed Tolkien
        from very early on: cf. PE11:39, which has _glan_ 'clean,
        pure' (originally 'bright') and PE13:144, where we find
        _glann_ 'clean'; pl. _glainn_.

        Pavel