Parma 14: typo ?

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24 8:42 AM

      It looks to me that lhampa- on p. 66 in Parma 14 is a typo for
      _hampa-_, isn't it ? From *E skamp- above on the same page I guess. :-)

      Cheers,

      Edouard Kloczko

      [Indeed it is. The correct reading should be _hampa_. Thanks for catching this! CFH]
    • cgilson75
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28 10:20 PM
        --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > It looks to me that lhampa- on p. 66 in Parma 14 is a typo for
        > _hampa-_, isn't it ? From *E skamp- above on the same page I guess.
        > :-)
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Edouard Kloczko
        >

        > [Indeed it is. The correct reading should be _hampa_. Thanks for
        catching this! CFH]

        Actually the real situation is more complicated than this suggestion
        or the casual agreement with it would imply. The 'l' in the published
        form _lhampa-_ is certainly not a "typo" in the sense of being an
        accidental mistyping for intended _hampa-_, but rather represents
        something Tolkien wrote in the original that was interpreted (perhaps
        by mistake) as an 'l'.

        Tolkien originally typed "... (*skapia-).;hampa- hop." at the end of
        this sentence (which begins with "N. hab- ..."). There is no space
        typed between right parenthesis mark and period, between period and
        semicolon, or between semicolon and 'h'. (It is not unusual for
        spaces to be left out when Tolkien types, but clearly something else
        was mistyped here -- either the period or the semicolon.) Tolkien
        manually added the diacritic under the 'i' and manually underlined the
        Elvish forms. And either at that time or later he wrote a vertical
        stroke through the semicolon thick enough to look like the other
        letters that he replaced by hand (e.g. _dagula_ >> _tagula_ at the top
        of p. 66).

        It is possible that Tolkien was simply striking out the semicolon. If
        on the other hand the stroke is a valid correction of mistyped
        "hampa-" to intended "lhampa-" the explanation could be that he typed
        a ';' when he intended to type an 'l'. Since these two keys are right
        next to each other on the keyboard this seems slightly more likely
        than typing a semicolon by mistake for a space.

        The form _lhampa-_ is enigmatic here, but not impossible to account
        for -- the combination -lk- would yield -lch- medially in Noldorin, we
        know, so if it could occur initially the result would probably be
        _lh-_. (Note that forms in _lh-_ have emerged in the contemporary
        Noldorin wordlists -- PE 13, pp. 148-9, 163.) Tolkien does list
        _nkap-_ as one of the varieties of root _kapa-_ 'leap' that "are
        evidenced". Perhaps, analogous to variants like _skap-, skamp-_, he
        imagined a variety _nkap-_ yielding *_nkampa-_ with dissimilation to
        *_lkampa-_ .

        I don't recall much, if any, later evidence to support this
        interpretation -- it need not have had a long life. Even if a
        short-lived conception, however, _lhampa-_ 'hop' might ultimately have
        inspired the name _Labadal_ 'Hopafoot' (UT 60). Or provide a sort of
        link with its even earlier conceptual echoes in QL _lapatte_ 'rabbit',
        GL _laboth_ 'a hare', which were only hesitantly connected with the
        words like QL _lopo-_ 'gallop, run', _lopeta-_ 'amble, lop', GL _lob
        (lompi)_ 'run, gallop'. Tolkien seems to have liked this association
        of the sounds _lap-, lab-_ with the sense 'hop', but may have remained
        uncertain how to account for it within his system.

        The upshot is that the reading _lhampa-_ is not entirely certain. And
        perhaps this should have been indicated in the editorial comments.
        But I don't feel that it is obviously wrong...

        -- Christopher Gilson