Re: The two Sindarins - fiction & invention

  • jonathan_avidan
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17 1:10 PM
      --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "cgilson75" <cgilson75@h...> wrote:

      > Given that Sindarin is a language that, in the mythology, human
      > beings are capable of learning to speak (see Appendix F), it seems
      > reasonable to hypothesize that similar cognitive strategies underlie
      > the interplay of redundancy and ambiguity that seems evident in its
      > syntax, though our insights must depend largely on a much better
      > understanding of the inner workings of our own native languages.

      It is also of importance to indicate that Tolkien did have an
      opinion on the human ability to learn the Elvish tongues -within-
      his invented world. A good example from _The Lord of the Rings_ would
      be the Gondorians: we are told throughout the story and in the
      appendices that they spoke Sindarin (<< Noldorin). The famous example
      is the name _Rochand_ which in their speech became _Rohan_.

      Now, if we hypothize that they could only speak Elvish as a second
      language, we learn that their pronunciation (and supposedly also
      parts of grammar) were affected by their own speech (in the
      aforementioned example - the lack of /x/ in their speech lead to the
      shift of S. /ch/ > /h/).

      However, if we hypothize that Sindarin was a living language amongst
      Men in Gondor, we inevitably learn that the rules of nature applied
      once more and in time, Sindarin began to change ceaselessly among
      Men and in time would become a different dialect and later a
      different language.

      Therefore, we must conclude that only the Sindar (and the Noldor of
      Middle Earth) could speak what is to be, internally, considered
      as "true" Sindarin for they would only change the language according
      to their taste and love for sounds and it would forever remain their
      own, while Men would change it to be theirs.

      Jonathan Avidan

      [It is indeed clear that the Men of Gondor spoke a dialect of Sindarin,
      with distinct phonological and lexical developments. See, for example,
      Tolkien's essay on _The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor_ (_VT_ 42).
      However, I don't think this is really the sort of "ability to learn
      languages" that Chris has in mind, which instead goes to more
      fundamental typological and cross-language features, such as the
      presence and role of formally redundant markers that are nonetheless
      quite happily tolerated in many human languages. CFH]