Noldorin Past Tense Essay: forgot "naud"?

  • Florian Dombach
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 6:02 AM

      I just noticed the _Etymologies'_ entry NUT-, where we find:

      "N _nud-_; _nûd_ bond; _naud_ bound."

      Isn't this _naud_ clearly another possible case of a-infix past
      tense, having a similar phonological environment as does _daul_.
      pa.t. of _doelio/doltha_ < DUL-?

      Ofr suil,
      Florian "Lothenon" Dombach

      ===================================================We speak as is right, and as King Finwe himself did before he was led
      astray. Let them sa-si, if they can speak no better.

      [In isolation, it would indeed be quite plausible to see N
      _naud_ 'bound' as a Strong-I past-tense verb (according to the
      classification laid out in my _Tengwestië_ article "The Past-Tense
      Verb in the Noldorin of the _Etymologies_"; see
      <http://www.elvish.org/Tengwestie/articles/Hostetter/noldpat.phtml#Strong_I>).
      However, the entry in which this form occurs demonstrates to
      my satisfaction that _naud_ is in fact a direct cognate of the Qenya
      adj. _nauta_, and so it thus itself an adjective:

      "NUT- tie, bind. Q _nutin_ I tie; _núte_ bond, knot; _nauta_
      bound, obliged. N _nud-_; _nûd_ bond; _naud_ bound."

      Note the parallel cognates: noun Q _núte_ 'bond, knot' == N
      _nûd_ 'bond'; adj. Q _nauta_ 'bound, obliged' == N _naud_ 'bound'.
      A good reminder that context and Tolkien's own presentation often are
      crucial to the correct interpretation of forms. CFH]