Adjectives as nouns (was Re: Q _kiryassea_ adj?)

  • Paula Marmor
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18, 2004
      --- Jerome Colburn identified more adjectives used as nouns.

      Similarly _Vanya_ is "...from an adjectival derivative _*wanja*_
      from the stem _*WAN_...", and _Linda_ is "clearly a derivative of
      the primitive stem _*LIN_ (showing ... adjectival _-á_)"
      (XI:382-3).

      Presumably _Sinda_ and the early clan names _Minyar_ 'Firsts',
      _Tatyar_ 'Seconds', and _Nelyar_ 'Thirds' (XI:380, 421) are formed in
      the same way.

      Paula Marmor
    • Beregond. Anders Stenström
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 19, 2004
        Another set of nominalized adjectives is, I think, the High-elven
        names for the days of the week, from _Elenya_ to _Valanya_. If
        they are thus in origin adjective attributes of an understood _ré_,
        _Tárion_ (the alternative name for _Valanya_) would similarly be
        a genitive attribute.

        Suilad,

        Beregond