Re: [Lambengolmor] Eru 'the One' ... 'He that is Alone' ?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2004
      On 16.02.2004, at 14:34, Jérôme Sainton wrote:

      > One might relate the name of Eru to the root ER(E) in V/356 & L/384;
      > but this is not said openly in _Quendi & Eldar_ or elsewhere (or did
      > I miss something?), so is the index of the _Silmarillion_ right? I
      > mean: the root ER(E) clearly implies an idea of "loneliness"

      It doesn't have to imply 'loneliness', I think. In fact, given the
      account of the 'Music of the Ainur' I doubt that interpretation.
      'Alone' may never have been intended by J.R.R. Tolkien. Still, it may
      mean 'alone of his kind, unique, peerless'. Note that Modern English
      _alone_ goes back to OE _all -âna_ "all (as) one". If J.R.R. Tolkien
      actually used that word, I might well imagine it was with this
      etymological background in mind. Also, One and Alone (the latter in the
      sense outlined above), I think, very well conveys the idea of the
      Hebrew _ehad_ 'one, only, unique'.

      -David Kiltz