Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: Q _kiryassea_ adj?

  • Jerome Colburn
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 17, 2004
      At 11:44 PM 2/16/04 +0000, pkmarmor wrote:

      >Carl commented -
      > >
      > > We do however have an explicit statement from Tolkien regarding
      > > this phenomenon in general in "Early Qenya": "Adjective[s] may be
      > > freely used as nouns..."
      >
      >Compare the (?late) Quenya example in XI:367 "... the adj.
      >_onóna_ 'twin-born', also used as a noun 'one of a pair of
      >twins'."

      And _Apanónar_ "Afterborn," _Firyar_ "Mortals", _Fírimar_ "those apt to
      die" WJ:387. Much earlier, _Engwar_ "the Sickly" LR:245.

      +-------------------------+
      + Airesseo Kolvorno +
      + Jerome Colburn +
      + jcolburn@... +
      +-------------------------+
      "Do you not be happy with me as the translator of the books of you?" -- New
      Yorker cartoon
    • Paula Marmor
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 18, 2004
        --- Jerome Colburn identified more adjectives used as nouns.

        Similarly _Vanya_ is "...from an adjectival derivative _*wanja*_
        from the stem _*WAN_...", and _Linda_ is "clearly a derivative of
        the primitive stem _*LIN_ (showing ... adjectival _-á_)"
        (XI:382-3).

        Presumably _Sinda_ and the early clan names _Minyar_ 'Firsts',
        _Tatyar_ 'Seconds', and _Nelyar_ 'Thirds' (XI:380, 421) are formed in
        the same way.

        Paula Marmor
      • Beregond. Anders Stenström
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 19, 2004
          Another set of nominalized adjectives is, I think, the High-elven
          names for the days of the week, from _Elenya_ to _Valanya_. If
          they are thus in origin adjective attributes of an understood _ré_,
          _Tárion_ (the alternative name for _Valanya_) would similarly be
          a genitive attribute.

          Suilad,

          Beregond