Re: Q _kiryassea_ adj?

  • pkmarmor
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2004
      Carl commented -

      > We do however have an explicit statement from Tolkien regarding
      > this phenomenon in general in "Early Qenya": "Adjective[s] may be
      > freely used as nouns..."

      Compare the (?late) Quenya example in XI:367 "... the adj.
      _onóna_ 'twin-born', also used as a noun 'one of a pair of
      twins'."

      pkm
    • Jerome Colburn
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 17, 2004
        At 11:44 PM 2/16/04 +0000, pkmarmor wrote:

        >Carl commented -
        > >
        > > We do however have an explicit statement from Tolkien regarding
        > > this phenomenon in general in "Early Qenya": "Adjective[s] may be
        > > freely used as nouns..."
        >
        >Compare the (?late) Quenya example in XI:367 "... the adj.
        >_onóna_ 'twin-born', also used as a noun 'one of a pair of
        >twins'."

        And _Apanónar_ "Afterborn," _Firyar_ "Mortals", _Fírimar_ "those apt to
        die" WJ:387. Much earlier, _Engwar_ "the Sickly" LR:245.

        +-------------------------+
        + Airesseo Kolvorno +
        + Jerome Colburn +
        + jcolburn@... +
        +-------------------------+
        "Do you not be happy with me as the translator of the books of you?" -- New
        Yorker cartoon
      • Paula Marmor
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2004
          --- Jerome Colburn identified more adjectives used as nouns.

          Similarly _Vanya_ is "...from an adjectival derivative _*wanja*_
          from the stem _*WAN_...", and _Linda_ is "clearly a derivative of
          the primitive stem _*LIN_ (showing ... adjectival _-á_)"
          (XI:382-3).

          Presumably _Sinda_ and the early clan names _Minyar_ 'Firsts',
          _Tatyar_ 'Seconds', and _Nelyar_ 'Thirds' (XI:380, 421) are formed in
          the same way.

          Paula Marmor
        • Beregond. Anders Stenström
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 19, 2004
            Another set of nominalized adjectives is, I think, the High-elven
            names for the days of the week, from _Elenya_ to _Valanya_. If
            they are thus in origin adjective attributes of an understood _ré_,
            _Tárion_ (the alternative name for _Valanya_) would similarly be
            a genitive attribute.

            Suilad,

            Beregond