Eru 'the One' ... 'He that is Alone' ?

  • Jérôme Sainton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2004
      I wondered whether the gloss "Eru : the One, He that is Alone" given
      by Christopher Tolkien into the index of the _Silmarillion (1977)_
      came from his own deduction or a JRR Tolkien's document. Indeed,
      whereas 'the One' is often found elsewhere (cf. the very
      gloss "Eru 'the One'" in XI/402), I didn't find any occurence of 'He
      that is Alone' in HOME. Neither remember I having seen it in any VT.

      One might relate the name of Eru to the root ER(E) in V/356 & L/384;
      but this is not said openly in _Quendi & Eldar_ or elsewhere (or did
      I miss something?), so is the index of the _Silmarillion_ right? I
      mean: the root ER(E) clearly implies an idea of "loneliness" which
      then would be assigned to Eru by saying 'He that is Alone'; knowing
      whether this idea is well-founded bears on what sense can be
      really infered from Eru's name.

      Jérôme

      [I haven't had much time to search, but I haven't found a source for
      the particular gloss 'He that is Alone'. It may have been deduced by
      Christopher, or perhaps taken from one of the various scattered notes
      on nomenclature in Tolkien's papers. I don't recall seeing such a gloss,
      but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. CFH]
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2004
        On 16.02.2004, at 14:34, Jérôme Sainton wrote:

        > One might relate the name of Eru to the root ER(E) in V/356 & L/384;
        > but this is not said openly in _Quendi & Eldar_ or elsewhere (or did
        > I miss something?), so is the index of the _Silmarillion_ right? I
        > mean: the root ER(E) clearly implies an idea of "loneliness"

        It doesn't have to imply 'loneliness', I think. In fact, given the
        account of the 'Music of the Ainur' I doubt that interpretation.
        'Alone' may never have been intended by J.R.R. Tolkien. Still, it may
        mean 'alone of his kind, unique, peerless'. Note that Modern English
        _alone_ goes back to OE _all -âna_ "all (as) one". If J.R.R. Tolkien
        actually used that word, I might well imagine it was with this
        etymological background in mind. Also, One and Alone (the latter in the
        sense outlined above), I think, very well conveys the idea of the
        Hebrew _ehad_ 'one, only, unique'.

        -David Kiltz