Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: _hy_ in Quenya (and the IPA)

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2004
      On 11.01.2004, at 06:20, Arden R. Smith wrote:

      A.R.Smith says that William G. Moulton
      says in his _The Sounds of English and German_ (Chicago
      and London: University of Chicago Press, 1962 that Modern Standard
      German [ç] sounds like the initial sound of _hue_ as pronounced by
      many Americans. Now there definitely is a difference between the RP
      _hue_ sound and the German _ich_ sound (_hue_ is slightly more forward)
      but it's a miniscule difference. Note the fact that English /ç/
      only occurs before /u/ word initially whereas German /ç/ never does.
      That may also add to the difference, thus, perhaps, making the
      difference between the sounds hardly more than a positional one. Still,
      all Germans I asked (including me) notice and make a clear distinction
      between English /ç/ and German /ç/ (and it is lab verifiable!).
      Still, I think it fair to settle on /ç/ for Quenya as Tolkien's
      examples can be approximations at times.

      > Maddieson regards [ç] as
      > an allophone of /x/ (in German).

      Just for the record: Not only the vocalic environment plays a role here
      but also morphemes. Cf. _Frauchen_ /frauçen/ vs. _rauchen_ /rauxen/.

      -David Kiltz