Re: _hy_ in Quenya (and the IPA)

  • mach
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2004
      Ales Bican wrote that we can't decide whether <hy> is a voiceless palatal
      fricative or a voiceless palatal approximant. Arden R. Smith replied he
      couldn't seen any such discrepancy.

      I think Ales Bican referred to the example of German _echt_ when he meant
      the fricative and to the example of English _huge_ when he meant the
      approximant (since /j/ is an approximant, his voiceless counterpart is as
      well).

      I think, however, that there isn't a big difference since unlike other vowel
      sounds, the sound of [i] has some friction, as can be easily heard when
      whispering.

      j. 'mach' wust
      http://machhezan.tripod.com