Re: Long and geminate consonants

  • Emanuele Vicentini
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2004
      Greetings,

      On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Helios De Rosario Martinez wrote:

      > With "geminate" I wanted to mark (opposite to just "long") that the
      > sound is split between two syllables.

      Well, the difference between these two concepts has always bothered me. If I
      understand it (which I doubt) _penknife_ would have a geminate "n" sound,
      right?

      > ("Geminate: Consonant that is pronounced in two sucesive moments of
      > tension, between which there is a distension that marks a syllabic
      > limit. Thus, the _mm_ in Italian _femmina_.")

      Here is the point that urges me to write: to my Italian ears, in _femmina_
      (whose syllabic division is _fem-mi-na_), there's no "distension that
      marks a syllabic limit" like the one I hear in _penknife_.

      Getting back to Tolkien, in a record of _Nam�rie_ and _A Elbereth
      Gilthoniel_ ("The J.R.R. Tolkien Audio Collection", cd #2, tracks #18 and
      #19, Caedmon/Harper Audio, 2001) I hear no "distension": to me _penna_,
      _galadhremmin_, _linnathon_, _lassi_, _lisse_, _pella_, _tellumar_,
      _yassen_, etc. all sound similar, without any "break" between
      consonatal sounds.

      Could someone with better ears and more knowledge be so kind to tell me if
      in those records there are geminate or long consonants?

      --

      Saluti,
      Emanuele.