Re: Q _ulundo_ < _ulgundô_ vs. _felya_ < *_felga_

  • Andreas Johansson
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
      Quoting Lukas Novak <lukas.novak@...>:

      > I would not on this ground expect that the following _u_ is the reason
      > why _g_ disappears rather than changes into _y_ (we have "yulda",
      > so _yu_ is allowed).

      I never said it was a _good_ explanation, but if it has any validity, surely
      the consonant dropped at the 'gh' stage, and 'gh' is nearer to 'u' than to 'a'.

      One might also argue that what we need explained isn't why 'gh' dropped in
      _ulundo_, which is the normal fate of 'gh' in Q, but why it failed to drop in
      _tarya_ and _felya_. In this light your suggestion re: maintaining length of a
      stressed syllable seems the more relevant explanation.

      Andreas