Addition to "The Past-Tense Verb in the Noldorin of the Etymologies"

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2003
      I have made a small addition to my article on "The Past-Tense Verb in
      the Noldorin of the Etymologies" in _Tengwesti�_
      (<http://www.elvish.org/Tengwestie/articles/Hostetter/noldpat.phtml>),
      near the end among my "resultant observations":

      "It can also be seen that, with the sole (and somewhat dubious)
      exception of _n�dh_, there is a strict division in the Strong I and
      Strong II formations according to the phonetic class of the final basic
      consonant: all verbs arising from bases ending in a liquid (here, -L
      and -R occur) form their strong pa.t. by root vowel strengthening or
      A-infixion (Strong I), while with one possible execption all verbs
      arising from bases ending in a stop or a nasal (here, -P, -T, -K, -D,
      and -M occur) form their strong pa.t. by nasal infixion (Strong II).
      This suggests, inter alia, that the strong pa.t. of verbs like _garo_
      (< GAR-) and _melo_ (< MEL-), if in fact they ever had strong forms,
      would be Strong I: i.e., *_gor_ < *_g�?r-�_ and *_m�l_ < *_m�l-�_. Note
      further in this connection that nowhere do verbs arising from bases
      ending in a liquid form a pa.t. by simple suffixion of _-n_ (i.e., as
      though employing the weak pa.t. tense ending *_-n�_ evidenced in such
      weak pa.t. Quenya verbs as _ortane_ 'uplifted', LR:368). Hence we see
      no evidence whatsoever for pa.t. formations like *_garn_, *_tirn_, or
      *_mell_."

      --

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.