New _Tengwestie_ article: "The Two Phonetic Values of _ll_ in Elvish Sindarin in _The Lord of the Rings_"

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2003
      A new article has been published in _Tengwestië_
      (<http://www.elvish.org/Tengwestie/>):

      The Two Phonetic Values of _ll_ in Elvish Sindarin in _The Lord of the
      Rings_
      — by Carl F. Hostetter

      <http://www.elvish.org/Tengwestie/articles/Hostetter/sindll.phtml>

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • jonathan_avidan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2003
        I have a question concerning the passage from Tolkien's essay on
        _The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor_ (VT42:27), quoted in
        Carl Hostetter's article "The Two Phonetic Values of _ll_ in Elvish
        Sindarin in _The Lord of the Rings_" in _Tengwestië_:

        "Medially however _nth_ (_nþ_), _nch_ (_ñx_), _mf_ (_mp_ with bilabial
        _f_), and _lth_ (_lþ_) became long voiceless _n_, _ñ_, _m_, _l_, though
        the old spelling was mostly retained (beside _nh_, _ñh_, _mh_, _lh_)"

        Does this mean that the voiceless _n_, _ng_, _m_ and _l_ were spelt
        /nth/, /nch/, /mf/ and /lth/ medially and initially they were spelt as
        noted in parentheses, to distinguish them as evolving from older initial
        clusters _sn-_, _sm-_ and _sl-_? If so, how does initial _ñh_ evolve?

        Jonathan Avidan
        Israeli Tolkino-Linguistics Community.

        [No, I don't think that Tolkien is saying that. He is speaking
        specifically about the development of _medial_ combinations to long
        voiceless resonants, and noting that despite this development these
        new medial long voiceless resonants retained an etymological
        spelling, in addition to the new spellings noted (those in _-h_).

        While on the subject of long voiceless resonants, and more
        generally on the dialectal variations Tolkien describes in the
        passage quoted in my _Tengwestië_ article, I would like to point
        out that these developments and dialectal variations are clearly
        modelled on very similar themes in Welsh and Welsh dialectal
        variances. Perhaps one of our Welsh-speaking and/or Celticist
        members could enlighten us more on this point. CFH]