Re: "Historical explanation" (was Re: The Noldorin pa.t. _mudas_)

  • Andreas Johansson
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 14, 2003
      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      > [Andreas's] suggestion that this _-r_ might have arisen from the verbal
      > personless plural ending is indeed a strong possibility (and has in fact been
      > bandied about by Tolkienian linguists for decades now).

      That's interesting to know - when I first brought up the topic on Elfling a
      few years ago, I did, as far as I can recall, not get any indication the idea
      wasn't new. (The original context, BTW, was what ending Amanya Telerin may
      use on verbs - Helge's Ardalambion article at the time suggested _-i_, which I
      found unlikely given that Q and S both have _-r_. Has any evidence on this
      come to light in the years since?)

      [You'll have to remember that there have been at least three distinct
      generational "waves" of Tolkienian linguists, starting with those centered
      around _Parma Eldalamberon_, Robert Foster's _Guide to Middle-earth_,
      and Jim Allan's _An Introduction to Elvish_ back in the '70s, including such
      still-active scholars as Christopher Gilson and Bill Welden; then joined by
      those participating in _Quettar_ and (later) _Vinyar Tengwar_ in the '80s
      and '90s, including myself, Arden Smith, and Patrick Wynne; and finally
      those participating primarily on the Internet in the latter half of the '90s
      until the present, including Helge Fauskanger and (to a much lesser extent,
      at least overtly) David Salo. Most of those who joined the endeavor only with
      the rise of the Internet seem quite unaware of their predecessors, the true
      pioneers of the field; a blindered view unfortunately fostered by the most
      vocal participants and founders of the main Internet fora. CFH]

      Regarding possible "historical explanations" of _-as_: Since no explanation
      not coming from JRRT can be regarded as certain, the issue is, or ought to be,
      whether we can offer a probable historical explanation. While nominal _-r_ <
      verbal _-r_ seems a convincing enough explanation to me, I can't think of any
      convincing one for a past ending _-as_. Now I, unlike David apparently, do
      not see this as much of a problem - as you've mentioned there's quite enough
      Sindarin endings of whose origins we can say very little - but I do think there's
      a difference.

      [Agreed on all counts. I ought to have noted that I didn't offer those ideas as
      real proposals, only as illustrative examples of the sorts of explanations one
      might offer for consideration. CFH]

      > The point being, and remaining, that mere absence of an obvious or secure
      > "historical explanation" evidenced by more than one language does not render
      > a grammatical form or feature anomalous, and certainly not erroneous, despite
      > David's apparent argument that it does.

      I certainly agree on that. I'd still consider _mudas_ rather 'anomalous' -
      despite Patrick's listing of more-or-less similar forms, it remains an isolate
      within the Noldorin of _The Etymologies_.

      [I think it is generally unwarranted to assume that sparsely or even uniquely
      attested formations _in languages that are themselves sparsely attested_, of
      which the Noldorin of _Etymologies_ is one (and Sindarin of _The Lord of the
      Rings_ even more so), are necessarily isolates. They may only appear to be
      such due to the selective vagaries of records preservation (and, in the case of
      invented art-languages, of records _production_). Moreover, the idea that such
      things as linguistic isolation need to be decided and declared, one way or
      another, arises only when one departs from language description, and begins
      to construct rules purporting to prescribe what is "normal": itself a comically
      absurd thing to do for any sparsely-attested language. CFH]

      Andreas
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 18, 2003
        On 14.11.2003, at 20:30, Andreas Johansson wrote:

        > I have repeatedly suggested that the Q nominal -r is not an innovation
        > "out of thin air", but simply the verbal ending applied also to nouns.

        Typologically that would, AFAIK, be unique. Glottogonically speaking
        the reverse would be more likely. In many languages verbal inflection
        is basically a nominal part + pronominal, or personal endings. Thusly,
        _síla_ would originally mean *'shining one, a shiner' to which personal
        forms are added: *'Shining-I', *'shining-you' etc... At least in the 3rd
        persons we only have a specific (originally) pronominal ending when no
        subject precedes the verb (cf. UT:317). That, of course, makes sense
        when _síla/sílar_ are originally nominal forms: *'the star, a shiner',
        *'the stars, shiners' but *'may be guarders', who? they! == _tiruva-nte_.
        Conversely, there would be no apparent motivation for two sets of
        endings if both were purely 'verbal'.

        So, whatever its ultimate origin, the Q. plural marker _-r_ seems to be
        entirely nominal in origin.

        David Kiltz
      • Andreas Johansson
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 19, 2003
          Quoting David Kiltz <dkiltz@...>:

          > On 14.11.2003, at 20:30, Andreas Johansson wrote:
          >
          > > I have repeatedly suggested that the Q nominal -r is not an innovation
          > > "out of thin air", but simply the verbal ending applied also to nouns.
          >
          > Typologically that would, AFAIK, be unique.
          [snip]
          > So, whatever its ultimate origin, the Q. plural marker _-r_ seems to be
          > entirely nominal in origin.

          I'm not about to question your superior expertise in these matters, but early
          Quenya was apparently happy to use verbs as nouns; "Quendi and Eldar" informs
          us that _Vala_ was originally a verb _vala-_ "has power", and offers the
          translation "they have power" for _valar_ (XI:403). Could this not represent a
          way in which a verbal ending might have sneaked into nominal inflection?

          Andreas

          [Perceived "superior expertise" should never be an issue on this list. The
          only one with superior expertise is J.R.R. Tolkien, and arguments should
          stand or fall based on the evidence in Tolkien's writings, not on the
          authority of the scholar proposing a particular theory.

          The passage Andreas refers to above also cites _eques_ as a Q. verb
          form that also came to be used as a noun. Earlier in Q&E Tolkien writes:
          "In Quenya the form _eques_ originally meaning 'said he, said someone'
          (see Note 29) was also used as a noun _eques_, with the analogical
          plural _equessi_, 'a saying, dictum, a quotation from someone's
          uttered words', hence also 'a saying, a current or proverbial dictum'."
          (XI:392) -- PHW]
        • Andreas Johansson
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 20, 2003
            Quoting Andreas Johansson <andjo@...>:

            > Quoting David Kiltz <dkiltz@...>:
            >
            > > On 14.11.2003, at 20:30, Andreas Johansson wrote:
            > >
            > > > I have repeatedly suggested that the Q nominal -r is not an innovation
            > > > "out of thin air", but simply the verbal ending applied also to nouns.
            > >
            > > Typologically that would, AFAIK, be unique.
            > [snip]
            > > So, whatever its ultimate origin, the Q. plural marker _-r_ seems to be
            > > entirely nominal in origin.
            >
            > I'm not about to question your superior expertise in these matters
            [snip]

            > [Perceived "superior expertise" should never be an issue on this list. The
            > only one with superior expertise is J.R.R. Tolkien, and arguments should
            > stand or fall based on the evidence in Tolkien's writings, not on the
            > authority of the scholar proposing a particular theory.
            [snip]
            > -- PHW]

            Clarification: I meant superior expertise as regards what is and what is not
            found in primary-world languages, not Tolkienian ones.

            I, however, see that my snipping above made Patrick's misinterpretation pretty
            much inevitable, for which I apologize.

            Andreas

            [No apology is necessary -- my comments regarding "superior expertise"
            were not meant to _admonish_ you, but to _encourage_ you to not indimidate
            yourself into abandoning a theory purely on the assumption that others have
            a broader knowledge. And this is as true regarding references to primary-
            world languages on this list as it is to Tolkien's languages. -- PHW]
          • Hans
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 22, 2003
              It will be best to refer to JRRT himself for an answer... even though
              there will be more than one. Unfortunately, I don't own PE 11, so I
              have to quote after a secondary source, VT40, which used the early
              lexicons to analyse Narqelion. Here's a comparision of case endings
              (genitive-ablative) in Qenya and Goldogrin, singular and plural: "with
              -ion cp. Q -ion, both being double plural -i + ô + n; with -a cp. Q
              -o, [from] ô; with -thon cp. Q -ron, where -r- is from the
              nom[inatives,] for -son; with -n cp Q -n" (VT40:9/10).

              This is supposed to mean that both -i and -n were plural markers, and
              that -r is a nominative (plural, obviously) coming from rhotacism and
              compares to Goldogrin -th. So it isn't an innovation at all: "-th is
              original and [the] same as Q -r".

              Obviously, JRRT hesitated whether this is was the right way, and
              explained:

              "The existence in G. of an -r plural sign in verbs has given rise to
              the conjecture (coupled with [the] Q. form gen.pl. -ron) that G -th
              does not represent Q -r[,] but that -r is a true plural ending (i.e. r
              liquid) and -tt == Q -t dual". (both VT40:22, from PE11:10)

              This would mean three original plural markers -i, -n (from former -m,
              as the entry 3O- in Etymologies suggests) and -r. We are told it is
              also a plural marker in G verbs, but that seems to be secondary.
              At that time, -r was not always a plural marker in Q verbs, as
              examples in the Secret Vice poems show: "i lunte linganer... i súru
              laustaner" (MC:216), the subjects (boat and wind) being singular.
              The above quote seems to indicate that G -th was originally dual. It
              may be that Noldorin -ath was interpreted as dual in origin, too, but
              we know that this notion was dismissed, later. "ath: Though it cd. be
              an S. form of Q. atta '2', it is not in fact related, nor a sign of
              dual". (Letters: 427)

              So, externally speaking, we have -r as a noun plural in Q (even in
              Qenya) before it became a plural marker in Q verbs. There's also no
              hint at an internal derivation devised later.

              People seem to be surprised because this gives 3 original plural
              markers in Quenya. The surprise may be provoked by the fact that most
              modern European languages have only one (English has one and a half,
              remember "geese" and "mice"). German has -e, -er, -(e)n, -s, depending
              on the noun, and the occasional Umlaut, so why should Quenya have only
              one or two?

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 22, 2003
                On 20.11.2003, at 07:40, Andreas Johansson wrote:

                > <snip>
                > early Quenya was apparently happy to use verbs as nouns; "Quendi and
                > Eldar" informs us that _Vala_ was originally a verb _vala-_ "has
                > power", and offers the
                > translation "they have power" for _valar_ (XI:403). Could this not
                > represent a
                > way in which a verbal ending might have sneaked into nominal
                > inflection?

                Good point. Yet the question is, in my opinion, how frequent are this
                kind of derivations ? Of course, from a *synchronic* point of view
                _vala_ and _valar_ are verbal forms (whatever their ultimate origin).
                Note, however, that Tolkien says "...these words are from the point of
                *Q* structure verbal in origin..." (emphasis mine). This doesn't, IMHO,
                say anything about their *Eldarin* origin. And yes, in some cases a
                'zero derivation' seems possible. _Ea_ is another such case and,
                slightly different _eques_ cited by Patrick H. Wynne. Such direct
                nominalizations do also, e.g. occur in English, cf. something like _a
                caveat_. However, as far as I can see, such derivations are rare at
                best in Quenya. Other agental construction show derivational morphology
                and are attested much more amply (e.g. sundóma +r(o), -ô, -mo etc.).
                The words _Vala_ and by all probability _Ea_ are translations of
                Valarin words. I wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in their
                peculiar derivation. _Eques_, on the other hand, was deliberately
                re-interpreted with an analogical plural _equessi_ which exactly shows
                *no* verbal morphology. So, at least in the case of _eques_ it is not
                really correct to say that "Quenya uses verbs as nouns".It is
                interesting in this context to ask why the plural of _Vala_ isn't
                +_valante_. Possibly, in the case of _vala/Vala_ the same is true.
                So, while your point on _valar/Valar_ is a very acute and enticing
                observation, I still doubt that these, apparently few, forms could have
                caused the creation of an entire plural paradigm. Moreover, if indeed,
                the plural of the verbs would have been taken over by nouns, I wonder
                why they didn't in the case of nouns in _-e_ as there must have been
                lots of instances of past tense plurals in _-er_. ( _Tyeller_ [LR3:502]
                might be interpreted in that way, but it is, as far as frequency is
                concerned, an exception).

                David Kiltz
              • Andreas Johansson
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
                  Quoting Hans <gentlebeldin@...>:

                  > "The existence in G. of an -r plural sign in verbs has given rise to
                  > the conjecture (coupled with [the] Q. form gen.pl. -ron) that G -th
                  > does not represent Q -r[,] but that -r is a true plural ending (i.e. r
                  > liquid) and -tt == Q -t dual". (both VT40:22, from PE11:10)
                  >
                  > This would mean three original plural markers -i, -n (from former -m,
                  > as the entry 3O- in Etymologies suggests) and -r. We are told it is
                  > also a plural marker in G verbs, but that seems to be secondary.

                  I'm not clear why you assume the verbal -r in G to be secondary? The passage
                  you quote does not appear to say either way.

                  > People seem to be surprised because this gives 3 original plural
                  > markers in Quenya. The surprise may be provoked by the fact that most
                  > modern European languages have only one (English has one and a half,
                  > remember "geese" and "mice"). German has -e, -er, -(e)n, -s, depending
                  > on the noun, and the occasional Umlaut, so why should Quenya have only
                  > one or two?

                  Well, multiple pl formations are common enough in modern Europe, aren't they?
                  Besides German, we've got the rest of Germanic family; Dutch has -en and -s,
                  Swedish has -ar, -er, -or, -n and -0 (zero), and so on. Italian has a couple,
                  as has Rumanian, if I remember correctly. And if you count 1.5 for English,
                  I figure you'd get something similar for French. I've heard Welsh has nineteen.

                  More on topic, there's of course no reason Quenya could not have had three or
                  more inherited nominal pl markers. It's just that that we know that in the
                  scenario as JRRT imagined it in later years, -r was a Quenya innovation, at
                  least as a pl marker on nominatives; we've for instance got _Banyai_ as an
                  early nom pl of _Vanya_ in PM:402.

                  I guess it's always possible that nominal pl -r is an innovation _only in
                  nominatives_ - there's to my knowledge no evidence to say whether the -r in
                  allative pl _-nnar_ and ablative pl _-llor_ is "original" or not. But since
                  these case forms are relatively infrequent, we'd rather expected the
                  nominative pl to spread to them rather than vice versa.

                  Andreas
                • Rich Alderson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
                    > People seem to be surprised because this gives 3 original plural markers in
                    > Quenya. The surprise may be provoked by the fact that most modern European
                    > languages have only one (English has one and a half, remember "geese" and
                    > "mice"). German has -e, -er, -(e)n, -s, depending on the noun, and the
                    > occasional Umlaut, so why should Quenya have only one or two?

                    Of course, you have cited *three* English formations (-s, umlaut, and zero
                    ending). There is also the -en plural formation (ox-oxen, brother-brethren,
                    extended analogically to computers in VAX-VAXen), and the borrowed Latin -i or
                    -ii which is more often misused than used correctly. The -s formant has been
                    spreading through the vocabulary at the expense of the others for centuries,
                    but enough remnants exist for naive native speakers to have a feel for their
                    usage.

                    Why would you expect JRRT, a Germanic philologist, to stint on plurals in his
                    languages?

                    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
                    quenya@... | \ / campaign against |
                    "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime." | x HTML mail and |
                    --Death, of the Endless | / \ postings |