Re: [Lambengolmor] Reflexivity of _im_ (was Re:Re: 3rd person vs. personeless vs. unsuffixed)

  • Jerome Colburn
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 11, 2003
      At 02:10 PM 11/5/03 +0100, David Kiltz wrote:
      >On 04.11.2003, at 23:54, Aaron Shaw wrote:
      >
      >Still, even in Modern English (correct me if I'm wrong) you
      >wouldn't say **"myself writes this inscription" but rather "I, myself,
      >*write* this inscription".

      ...well, perhaps more likely, "I, myself, write inscriptions," "I, myself,
      am writing this inscription," or "I, myself, wrote this inscription."

      But **"myself writes this inscription" reminds me of the dialectal English
      ascribed to Irish speakers and commonly found in folk texts, where "myself"
      stands for Gaelic _mise_. Yet that too is emphatic rather than reflexive.

      + Airesseo Kolvorno +
      + Jerome Colburn +
      + jcolburn@... +
      "Do you not be happy with me as the translator of the books of you?" -- New
      Yorker cartoon