Re: [Lambengolmor] Naffarin

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
      Quoth Beregond:

      > It seems to me possible that _-far-_ is inspired by the Latin
      >defective verb _fari_ 'speak'. If the preceding element reflects
      >Latin _novus_ and English _new_, then _Naffarin_ may have
      >essentially the same meaning as _Nevbosh_, sc. 'new speech'.

      But _bosh_ (in English at any rate) means 'nonsense' rather than
      'speech'. In light of that, I wonder whether _Naffarin_ might not be
      derived from the English slang adjective _naff_ or some word closely
      akin to it. According to the OED, the adjective _naff_ itself is
      apparently not attested before 1969, but related to it are the
      northern dialectal forms _naffhead_, _naffin_, _naffy_ 'a simpleton;
      a blockhead; an idiot' (cited in the _English Dialect Dictionary_)
      and _niffy-naffy_ 'inconsequential, stupid' (with an attestation from
      1876).

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
      --Elvish proverb