Re: [Lambengolmor] Naffarin

  • Beregond. Anders Stenström
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
      Christopher Gilson wrote:

      > what the stem _Naffar-_ means is unclear.

      It seems to me possible that _-far-_ is inspired by the Latin
      defective verb _fari_ 'speak'. If the preceding element reflects
      Latin _novus_ and English _new_, then _Naffarin_ may have
      essentially the same meaning as _Nevbosh_, sc. 'new speech'.

      Meneg suilaid,

      Beregond
    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
        Quoth Beregond:

        > It seems to me possible that _-far-_ is inspired by the Latin
        >defective verb _fari_ 'speak'. If the preceding element reflects
        >Latin _novus_ and English _new_, then _Naffarin_ may have
        >essentially the same meaning as _Nevbosh_, sc. 'new speech'.

        But _bosh_ (in English at any rate) means 'nonsense' rather than
        'speech'. In light of that, I wonder whether _Naffarin_ might not be
        derived from the English slang adjective _naff_ or some word closely
        akin to it. According to the OED, the adjective _naff_ itself is
        apparently not attested before 1969, but related to it are the
        northern dialectal forms _naffhead_, _naffin_, _naffy_ 'a simpleton;
        a blockhead; an idiot' (cited in the _English Dialect Dictionary_)
        and _niffy-naffy_ 'inconsequential, stupid' (with an attestation from
        1876).

        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

        Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
        --Elvish proverb