Quenya item in forthcoming Sotheby's catalogue

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2002
      On 11-12 July, 2002, Sotheby's will be auctioning a number of Tolkien
      rarities. Of particular interest to Tolkienian linguists is item 785, a copy
      of _The Lord of the Rings_ inscribed by Tolkien to his friend and colleague,
      M.R. Ridley. The inscription, which includes the familiar Quenya phrase "Nai
      hiruvalye Valimar", is accompanied by a letter, dated 27 September 1961
      (from Tolkien's 76 Sanfield Road address in Oxford). According to the
      auction catalogue, in this letter:

      Tolkien thanks Ridley for his writing in "Elvish", praising it
      as "very much better than the 'Elvish' of those mis-guided
      correspondents who write to me in the script". Tolkien then
      translates the phrase and includes a "better rendering":

      ...this is not very well translated "maybe thou
      shalt find Valimar"; in Elvish nai with the Future
      expresses a wish rather than a doubtful statement.
      A better rendering is "may you come to the Blessed
      Realm".

      Catalogue details (based on preliminary proof information): CHILDREN'S AND
      ILLUSTRATED BOOKS AND DRAWINGS from SOTHEBY'S SALE OF ENGLISH LITERATURE,
      HISTORY, CHILDREN'S AND ILLUSTRATED BOOKS AND DRAWINGS Including the Library
      of Neville L. Fakes, C.B.E. (Charles Dickens and other authors). Sale no
      L02303 ("BOZ"),

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |