A new German dictionary of Quenya and Sindarin

  • Edward J. Kloczko
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2003
      I bought last week a new book in German by W. Krege, the translator of
      LOTR into German; he has done a new translation of the book.

      His book, or should I shay the booklet (it is very small in size) bears on the
      cover "Elbisches Wörterbuch nach J.R.R. Tolkien" but inside it is "Elbisches
      Wörterbuch Quenya und Sindarin" with a »Kregisch-Elbisch« title "Eldarin
      parmaquettaron Quenya ar Sindarin"(!). It is the worst book ever published so
      far about Quenya and Sindarin.

      In the Quenya and the Sindarin word listed most of the accents are gone...
      _soval phare_ (sic) is listed as a Q. word (p. 176)
      _tiëlyanna_ (sic) is translated as "bis zum Ende" ['until the end'] and
      _Anar caluva tiëlyanna_ (sic), is "die Sonne möge dir bis zum Ende scheinen"
      ['may the Sun shine upon you until the end']; _tielyanna_ is of course
      "tie-lya-nna", e.g. 'upon your road'. _Tie_ is (more or less) rightly translated
      p. 188 "Weg, Strasse".

      A few "new words" have been invented by W. Krege too as : _nótengolmo_
      Mathematiker and _nótecenta_ Mathematik (p. 149). He missed the epesse of
      Quennar "Onótimo", which means maybe lit. one who gathers numbers,
      e.g. "Mathematician"(?). _Mar-nu-Falmar_ is said to be Sindarin (p. 149).
      dacil is Q. & S. Sieger ['victor'] (p. 78)

      etc.

      A very amateurish work to say the least. I hope that the fellow German
      members of this list will pass this post on to their German and Austrian
      "Elbishe-fans" so as to be informed about this "Unförmig-Elbisches-
      Wörterbuch".

      Namárie,

      Edouard Kloczko

      [So far as I can recall, this is the first review we've had on this list. I just want
      to note that such reviews are definitely on-topic, so long as the subjects of
      the review have something to do with the scholarly study of Tolkien's languages
      -- even if only by implicit claim -- and so long as the reviews are objective
      and provide examples to back up characterizations. Also, I've provided the
      German translations above; sorry if I botched any of them! CFH]