Re: [Lambengolmor] _Huorn_

  • Edward J. Kloczko
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12 6:02 AM
      Patrick H. Wynne wrote

      > [My apologies for having overlooked your discussion of _huorn_ --
      > I'm guilty of not speaking a single word of French, alas! Are there
      > any plans for an English translation of this book?

      No, all the US publishing houses I have approached have declined it
      because of the usual copyright problem.

      > I'd also like to know if in your book you explained your reasoning
      > for glossing the first element of _huorn_ as 'shouting' -- or is the
      > passage cited above all that is said there on the topic? -- PHW]

      No I haven't gone into much explanation about _hû-orn_ > _Huorn_
      in my book. But I should have translated in my post _hû-orn_ as
      'barking-tree' instead, since *KHUG- 'bark, bay'.

      Edouard Kloczko

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      [Thanks for the further clarification! -- PHW]
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 20 3:51 AM
        Last year a book on literary and linguistic matters Tolkien came out in France (in French), the "dictionnaire Tolkien", edited by Vincent Ferré. Since I haven't seen it mentioned here on the list (although it may have escaped me), I'd like to draw your attention to it.

        With its 670 pages and contributions from 60 people it might be of interest to those who read Tolkien and French. Indeed, if someone has read it, maybe she or he would be willing to provide a brief review of the content relevant to the scope of this list.

        Two links to the book:
        http://www.cnrseditions.fr/Litterature/6619-dictionnaire-tolkien-vincent-ferre.html
        http://www.amazon.fr/Dictionnaire-Tolkien-Vincent-Ferr%C3%A9/dp/2271075041

        -David
      • Damien
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21 9:17 AM
          David,

          Thanks for your comments on the _Dictionnaire_. I'm sure Vincent Ferré would be glad to see this work discussed here. Being involved in the book, I cannot really comment on it, but there are a few more pieces of information that might interest you, I think:

          - A full presentation of the book is available on Vincent Ferré's website:
          http://www.pourtolkien.fr/spip.php?article126

          - A large part of the _Dictionnaire_ can actually be read online:
          http://books.google.fr/books?id=W4Ewbus1yuoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=dictionnaire+tolkien&hl=fr&sa=X&ei=KjCZULO8JomohAeC-oDgCQ&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

          - A list of articles grouped by topics is also available online. You might wish to have a look at the "Langues" category:
          http://www.pourtolkien.fr/IMG/pdf/dictionnaire_-_notices_par_domaines.pdf

          - Two critics of interest can be found online (in French):
          http://www.fabula.org/revue/document7688.php

          > On Elbakin.net:
          http://www.elbakin.net/fantasy/roman/dictionnaire-tolkien-3859

          Best regards,