Re: [Lambengolmor] _Huorn_

  • Hans Georg Lundahl
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2003
      Patrick Wynne wrote:

      "Here phonology provides the probable
      answer; for on analogy with the cognate pair Q _róma_ 'loud sound,
      trumpet-sound' == N _rhû_ (in the Etym. s.v. ROM- 'loud noise, horn
      blast'), it appears that Q _óma_ would have had the Noldorin
      cognate *_û_. This would be identical to the (presumably frequent)
      negative prefix _ú-_ (as in _ú-chebin_ *'I have not kept',
      LR:1036), and so it was probably abandoned in favor of the
      more distinctive *_hû_."

      Q: would the development be something like:

      *ômâ > ôma (== Q) > *ûma > *ûmha > *ûmh > *ûv > *ûw > *û, phon. == ú?

      Has anyone (except Tolkien of course, whose linguistic material is still being
      published) tried to make a chart of Primitive Quendian to Noldorin/Sindarin
      soundchanges? Helge Fauskanger has made one for Quenya, I know.

      I was going to include attested examples for each sound change, but was
      interrupted by the fact that Quenya _Róme_ corresponds to Sindarin _Rhûn_.
      Would the correspondence be _Róme_ == _*Rhû_ + _*-n_?

      Hans Georg Lundahl

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      [I will begin with a gentle reminder that page references should be
      provided for all forms cited -- I had to search for an unambiguous
      occurrence of Q _róme_ 'east' myself. This form appears as the
      first element in _Rómelonde_ 'East-haven', an earlier form of the
      name _Rómenna_ that appears in _The Notion Club Papers_ (IX:315).
      _Rómello_ '[to one] from the East' in Galadriel's Lament probably
      contains _rómen_ 'east' (V:384) instead, with *_Rómen-(l)lo_
      assimilating to _Rómello_.

      And Q _róme_ does _not_ correspond to S _rhûn_ 'east' (LR:1089).
      The _Etymologies_ s.v. RÔ- gives instead Q _róna_ 'east', N _rhûn_.
      The same entry gives N †_rhufen_ 'east' as the equivalent of Q
      _rómen_ 'east'.

      I don't know of any formal presentations of Primitive Quendian to
      Noldorin/Sindarin sound changes. Given David Salo's "Old Sindarin"
      and "Middle Sindarin" etymological forms in Didier Willis's Sindarin
      dictionary, presumably he has done some work along these lines,
      and perhaps this will form part of his book on Sindarin, when and
      if it is ever published.

      However, it is, I think, a major mistake from a scholarly standpoint
      to simply lump the Noldorin and Sindarin material together in for-
      mulating any such presentation of sound changes. We know there
      are differences between the Noldorin of the _Etymologies_ and the
      Sindarin of _The Lord of the Rings_, and to simply treat the two as
      interchangeable (after submitting Noldorin forms to a few minor
      cosmetic changes) greatly muddies the evidence. What needs to be
      done is a systematic analysis of the sound changes _of Noldorin
      as it appears in the Etymologies, and ONLY in the Etymologies_.
      This would then provide a valuable point of comparison for the
      phonetic developments seen in both the earlier and later material.

      -- Patrick H. Wynne]
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 10, 2003
        I would like to extend Pat's comments with two of my own:

        First, a chart of the phonological developments from Primitive Eldarin
        to Noldorin or to Sindarin, while certainly useful, would yet be no
        substitute for the actual evidence of the languages themselves. Charts
        and other like distillations inevitably include hypothesis and gloss
        over particular peculiarities and exceptions. For a relatively limited
        corpus like those of Noldorin or Sindarin, this can be ameliorated by
        inclusion of exhaustive exemplars from the sources; but the result of
        doing so would basically just be a reorganization _Etymologies_ and the
        few other sources, into a form emphasizing groupings of like
        developments. My point being that, since the sources are not all that
        extensive, it is not too difficult, if one is not impatient, to find an
        example or two showing the path and result(s) of most any phonological
        development needed.

        Second, in addition to having what remains the best indices of
        Tolkien's languages in _The Lord of the Rings_, _An Introduction to
        Elvish_ features a still very useful tabulation of the chief
        phonological changes from P.E. to Quenya and to Sindarin (as they stood
        at the time of the publication of 2nd ed. of _The Lord of the Rings_),
        again as exemplified by the instances of these languages in _The Lord
        of the Rings_.

        Carl

        ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
        Ars longa, vita brevis.
      • Edward J. Kloczko
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
          Patrick H. Wynne wrote

          > [My apologies for having overlooked your discussion of _huorn_ --
          > I'm guilty of not speaking a single word of French, alas! Are there
          > any plans for an English translation of this book?

          No, all the US publishing houses I have approached have declined it
          because of the usual copyright problem.

          > I'd also like to know if in your book you explained your reasoning
          > for glossing the first element of _huorn_ as 'shouting' -- or is the
          > passage cited above all that is said there on the topic? -- PHW]

          No I haven't gone into much explanation about _hû-orn_ > _Huorn_
          in my book. But I should have translated in my post _hû-orn_ as
          'barking-tree' instead, since *KHUG- 'bark, bay'.

          Edouard Kloczko

          * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

          [Thanks for the further clarification! -- PHW]
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
            Last year a book on literary and linguistic matters Tolkien came out in France (in French), the "dictionnaire Tolkien", edited by Vincent Ferré. Since I haven't seen it mentioned here on the list (although it may have escaped me), I'd like to draw your attention to it.

            With its 670 pages and contributions from 60 people it might be of interest to those who read Tolkien and French. Indeed, if someone has read it, maybe she or he would be willing to provide a brief review of the content relevant to the scope of this list.

            Two links to the book:
            http://www.cnrseditions.fr/Litterature/6619-dictionnaire-tolkien-vincent-ferre.html
            http://www.amazon.fr/Dictionnaire-Tolkien-Vincent-Ferr%C3%A9/dp/2271075041

            -David
          • Damien
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
              David,

              Thanks for your comments on the _Dictionnaire_. I'm sure Vincent Ferré would be glad to see this work discussed here. Being involved in the book, I cannot really comment on it, but there are a few more pieces of information that might interest you, I think:

              - A full presentation of the book is available on Vincent Ferré's website:
              http://www.pourtolkien.fr/spip.php?article126

              - A large part of the _Dictionnaire_ can actually be read online:
              http://books.google.fr/books?id=W4Ewbus1yuoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=dictionnaire+tolkien&hl=fr&sa=X&ei=KjCZULO8JomohAeC-oDgCQ&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

              - A list of articles grouped by topics is also available online. You might wish to have a look at the "Langues" category:
              http://www.pourtolkien.fr/IMG/pdf/dictionnaire_-_notices_par_domaines.pdf

              - Two critics of interest can be found online (in French):
              http://www.fabula.org/revue/document7688.php

              > On Elbakin.net:
              http://www.elbakin.net/fantasy/roman/dictionnaire-tolkien-3859

              Best regards,