Re: [Lambengolmor] Sindarin consonant mutation

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4 3:36 PM
      On Freitag, Juli 4, 2003, at 08:03 Uhr, Aaron Shaw wrote:

      > It is not entirely obvious, to me, how the various assimilations
      > referred to as the "consonant mutations" evolved, from both an
      > internal and external perspective. Is this (as I suspect) tied
      > directly
      > into the phonological history of the language's complex evolution,
      > or is it rather grammatical in origin

      Patrick H. Wynne already answered your question. Mutations are of
      phonological origin. They are due to 'sentence sandhi'. That means if,
      e.g., a voiceless plosive 'T' between two vowels 'V' becomes voice 'D',
      this does not only happen inside a word but also inside a sentence. So
      VTV > VDV but also -V# TV- > -V# DV- (where '#' is the auslaut or end
      of a word). To give you a real world example of later
      'grammaticalization': In Welsh, adjectives following a feminine noun
      were most often lenited, because feminine nouns originally ended mostly
      in *_-a_ or *_-i_ (both long). This was extended to all adjectives
      following a feminine, even when the preceeding feminine word did not,
      originally, end in a vowel. So, while the endings have long been lost,
      the grammatical gender can still be identified. Other mutations are to
      be explained similarly, e.g. when a proceeding word ended in a nasal
      etc..