Re: "manu" departed spirit

  • Edward J. Kloczko
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2003
      I wrote:

      >> ... Still "departed spirit" is a strange expression... for me.
      >>
      >> Any thought by someone with English as mother tongue would be welcome. ;-)

      My question was addressed to someone speaking English as a mother-tongue not
      about the meaning of "departed".

      To my knowledge the _usual_ English expression is "a departed soul", not "a
      departed spirit", isn't it? Is "departed spirit" an unusual T. construction? A new
      coinage, or not at all. Plain good English.

      I do know English... ;-) but it is difficult to "feel" it, when it is not your mother-
      tongue, if an expression is _usual_ or sounds "new" or "weird".

      Edouard Kloczko

      ["Departed spirit" sounds no stranger to my ear than does "departed soul". In fact,
      "departed soul" is the more unusual-sounding. CFH]