Re: "manu" departed spirit

  • Gildor Inglorion
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2003
      > Departed spirit: a spirit that has departed from its body (intransitive
      > verbs of movement have active past participles formed as the passive
      > past participle of transitive verbs).

      I must mention also the latin word 'Manes' that refers to the spirits of
      the dead... It seems that Tolkien had this word in mind...

      [Pat has asked me to note that in his previous post of today in this thread,
      the words 'spirited of one departed' should, of course, read 'spirit of one
      departed'. CFH]

    • Edward J. Kloczko
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18, 2003
        I wrote:

        >> ... Still "departed spirit" is a strange expression... for me.
        >>
        >> Any thought by someone with English as mother tongue would be welcome. ;-)

        My question was addressed to someone speaking English as a mother-tongue not
        about the meaning of "departed".

        To my knowledge the _usual_ English expression is "a departed soul", not "a
        departed spirit", isn't it? Is "departed spirit" an unusual T. construction? A new
        coinage, or not at all. Plain good English.

        I do know English... ;-) but it is difficult to "feel" it, when it is not your mother-
        tongue, if an expression is _usual_ or sounds "new" or "weird".

        Edouard Kloczko

        ["Departed spirit" sounds no stranger to my ear than does "departed soul". In fact,
        "departed soul" is the more unusual-sounding. CFH]