Re: Quenya pronouns 1: _ni_

  • Patrick H. Wynne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
      --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <gentlebeldin@h...> wrote:

      > People may ask "what about _im_ in Sindarin?" There was an attempt
      > by Didier Willis to construct a common etymology:
      >
      > [Hiswelókë's Sindarin dictionary (Edition 1.5, Lexicon 0.99)]
      > _im*_ ['im] pron. "I" LotR/II:IV, LB/354 OS *_imbè_, CE
      > *_iñgwi_, *_iñwi_ (*I-ÑWI, NI)

      The reconstructed etymology of S. _im_ in Didier's Sindarin dictionary
      is actually the work of David Salo. As Didier writes on pg. 8: "The
      etymological reconstructions presented in this dictionary are based
      on David Salo's research and are introduced by a diamond".

      > The same source (VT41:11) gives _Guren bêd enni_, showing that
      > the element _ni_ survived in Sindarin, too. The suffixes _-n_ for
      > "I" (verbs) or for "my" (nouns) support this. Interestingly, we
      > have two different dative/allative forms: _enni_ just quoted,
      > meaning "(to) me", and _anim_ from Gilraen's _linnod_ (LR:1036).

      Although this does not directly pertain to Hans's theory that
      S. _im_ literally means 'self' rather than 'I', I find it interesting
      that the coexistence of two 1 sg. pronominal elements in
      Sindarin, _im_ and _ni_, is a concept that goes all the way back
      to Goldogrin. In GL we find the independent (and possibly
      emphatic) form _im_ 'I' in _im len_ 'I have or am come' (cited s.v.
      _len_ (adj.) 'come, arrived', PE11:53). The list of Goldogrin
      pronominal prefixes given in PE13:97 includes 1 sg. _ni-_,
      which occurs in the form _nin-_ when prefixed to verbs
      beginning with a vowel, e.g., _nin·ista feg_ 'I feel ill' (cited
      s.v. _ista-_ 'know, am aware, perceive, feel', PE11:52; also
      cf. _fêg, feg_ 'bad, poor, wretched', PE11:34).

      -- Patrick H. Wynne