Tolkien Language Conference

  • Bill Welden
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2003
      This posting is to announce:

      The First International Conference on J.R.R. Tolkien's Invented
      Languages
      (Informally "Omentielva Minya", or just "Omentielva")
      August 4 to 8, 2005
      University of Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden
      Chairman: Bill Welden
      Papers Coordinator: Beregond, Anders Stenström
      Facility Coordinator: Professor Nils-Lennart Johannesson
      Membership: $50 through July 4, 2004
      www.omentielva.org

      The following twenty-four people are currently planning on attending:
      Rich Alderson, Cirk Bejnar, Måns Björkman, Ales Bican, Beregond,
      Julian Bradfield, Ryszard Derdzinski, Ivan Derzhanski, Terry Dock,
      Hans-Jürgen Fischer, Björn Fromén, John Garth, Pavel Iosad, Nils-
      Lennart Johannesson, Benkt Philip Jonsson, David Kiltz, Edouard
      Klozko, Per Lindberg, Candon Maclean, Boris Shapiro, Fredrik Ström,
      Petri Tikka, Bill Welden, and Didier Willis.

      Others have indicated an interest as well, ranging from "will
      probably attend" to "don't count me out just yet".

      Everyone is encouraged to prepare, bring, and deliver a paper on any
      aspect of Tolkien's languages. The program will consist of listening
      to and discussing the papers; as well as meeting each other, breaking
      bread together, and generally enjoying each other's company.
      Registration includes basic food and sleeping space (though you may
      want to make additional arrangements yourself for both -- see the web
      site for more information).

      This will be the first of a series of biennial conferences. The
      location of the second (2007) conference will be announced at this
      first conference, and we will also vote on proposals for the site of
      the third (2009). If you are interested in hosting the 2007
      conference or in presenting a proposal for the 2009 conference,
      please contact me (BillW@...).

      The proceedings of these conferences will be published in a new
      special series, _Arda Philology_. The volume from this first
      conference will be made available to the attendees as a benefit of
      membership, and (subject to availability and at a price yet to be
      determined) to all other interested parties. Our intention is that it
      be stimulating and insightful enough to show up on the reference
      shelf of every serious scholar of Tolkien. You do not need to deliver
      a paper to attend, nor do you need to attend to send a paper (we will
      certainly find someone to read it for you); but we hope you do both.

      There is more information (and you can sign up) at our web site:
      www.omentielva.org.

      Write to me at BillW@... with questions or feedback. For
      information about registration or papers (*especially* if you would
      like to present one) write to: Beregond@....

      This is going to be an exciting event, with lots of interesting
      people discussing all the interesting topics. If you think the
      conversation proceeds quickly here on-line, wait till you get in a
      room with twenty smart, passionate people who have been thinking
      about these issues for years (some for most of their lives). I'm
      really looking forward to it.

      I hope we see you there!

      Bill Welden
      Chairman
      Omentielva Minya
    • Bill Welden
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2005
        If you want to attend the the First International Conference on
        Tolkien's Invented Languages in Stockholm this August, it is time to
        send in your registration and begin making your travel plans. If you
        want to present a paper at the conference, please contact Beregond
        right away.

        Our web address is www.omentielva.com (note, _not_ .org as it was
        originally).

        Beregond's address is beregond@.... Mine is
        billw@.... Let us hear from you today.

        We are looking forward to seeing many of you there!

        --Bill

        ====snip===
        The First International Conference on J.R.R. Tolkien's Invented
        Languages (Informally "Omentielva Minya", or just "Omentielva")
        August 4 to 8, 2005
        University of Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden
        Chairman: Bill Welden
        Papers Coordinator: Beregond, Anders Stenström
        Facility Coordinator: Professor Nils-Lennart Johannesson
        Membership: US$90 through July 4, 2005
        www.omentielva.com

        Everyone is encouraged to prepare, bring, and deliver a paper on any
        aspect of Tolkien's languages. The program will consist of listening
        to and discussing the papers; as well as meeting each other, breaking
        bread together, and generally enjoying each other's company.
        Registration includes basic food and sleeping space (though you may
        want to make additional arrangements yourself for both -- see the web
        site for more information). Over thirty people have indicated an
        intention to attend.

        please contact me right away at BillW@O....

        www.omentielva.com.

        Write to me at BillW@... with questions or feedback. For
        information about registration or papers (*especially* if you would
        like to present one) write to: Beregond@...

        This is going to be an exciting event, with lots of interesting
        people discussing all the interesting topics. If you think the
        conversation proceeds quickly here on-line, wait till you get in a
        room with thirty smart, passionate people who have been thinking