Re: Possible ON -r derivation?

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6, 2003
      On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 01:23 AM, Boris Shapiro wrote:

      > N _lhathron_ "hearer, listener, eavesdropper" (< *la(n)sro-ndo);
      > _lhathro_ or _lhathrado_ "listen in, eavesdrop". The etymology N
      > _lhathron_ < _la(n)sro-ndo_ is interesting. Here we have _-ro_, which
      > is obviously not agentive (because an agentive ending _-ndo_ present).

      I don't find that obvious. It is not at all unheard of to have "double"
      suffixes in languages; for example, the English word "children" is a
      double plural (_childr-_ being from the original plural form). It
      appears that in Noldorin original agentives in _-ro_ were strengthened
      with the addition of _-ndo_ (note that this strengthening would have
      the salutary effect of maintaining an agentive marker against the N.
      loss of final syllables).

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • Boris Shapiro
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 6, 2003
        Aiya!

        Sunday, April 6, 2003, 5:56:18 PM, Carl F . Hostetter wrote:

        >> Here we have _-ro_, which is obviously not agentive (because an agentive
        >> ending _-ndo_ present). ...

        CFH> I don't find that obvious. It is not at all unheard of to have "double"
        CFH> suffixes in languages; ...

        Yes, you're right. I should have remembered cases like N _badhron_
        (_*badro-ndo_) etc.

        Namaarie! S.Y., Elenhil Laiquendo [Boris Shapiro]

        : nai ilqua eruanna i nee antanin terlinnuva sen ยท nai erye vartuva :