CE *_wô_, *_wo_ > Q _ó-_ / _o-_[was re: ómentie]

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 22, 2003
      On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 09:46 AM, Edward J. Kloczko wrote:

      > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
      >
      >> Given that Q _o-_/_ó-_ and T _wo-_/_vo-_ are known to have arisen
      >> from a variably-lengthened element even in Common Eldarin,
      >
      > That is not how I interpret the text in WJ. The root in CE is written
      > _WO_ with a short _o_. The usual lengthening of _o_ is presented as a
      > development in the CE _word_ wô only; _wo-_ is stated to be a prefix,
      > there is no CE prefix _wô-_ apparently at that time, from my
      > understanding.

      Edouard is correct that the root *WO (XI:367; no CE prefix form *_wo-_
      is actually cited there) underlying the Quenya prefix _ó-_ / _o-_ is
      not stated in _Quendi and Eldar_ to have been variably lengthened.
      However, its CE reflexes, the independent and length- (and perhaps
      stress-) contrastive words *_wô_ and *_wo_ [? stands for macron], are
      cited as a pair elsewhere in _Q&E_ (XI:366). We are also told (367)
      that *WO "does not remain in Q as an independent word", but is "a
      frequent prefix in the form _ó-_ (usually reduced to _o-_ when
      unstressed)". Taken together, this suggests that the Quenya prefix _ó-_
      is _in origin_ a reflex of the CE independent word *_wô_, and that its
      shortened counterpart _o-_ is _in origin_ a reflex of CE *_wo_ (though
      with much subsequent leveling of forms in Quenya due to stress
      patterns).

      As further support for this, note that the _Etymologies_ tells us that:
      "In Q the form _wô_, and the unstressed _wo_ [there is a breve in the
      text], combined to produce prefix [_o-_ / _ô-_] 'together'" (V:399 s.v.
      WÔ-).

      It does appear, then, that a length- (and stress-?) contrastive pair of
      CE words *_wô_, *_wo_ underlies the variably lengthened and stressed
      Quenya prefix _ó-_ / _o-_.

      --

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.