Call for input: _Vinyar Tengwar_ errata

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2002
      One purpose I would like to put this list to is a forum for feedback on
      _Vinyar Tengwar_. Given the irregular nature of its publication, and further
      given the fact that there has for years now usually been too much new,
      primary material in each issue to allow for a lengthy or active letters
      section (not that anyone's complained, mind you!), I think a mailing list
      such as this may be the most practical way for readers of _VT_ to
      communicate with one another about its contents.

      There is something in particular that I would like to solicit input on from
      any readers of _VT_ that are on this list: namely, errata. If you've noticed
      typos of any sort (spelling, punctuation, grammar, citation error,
      misquotation, etc.) in any issue of _VT_ (well, 10 and up, since issues
      earlier than that can only be "reprinted" by photocopying), I want to know
      about them so that I can correct them in future reprintings.

      If you'll provide me with errata (_off list_, that is, to:
      Aelfwine@...) I'll compile a list of them and put them on a Web page
      at:
      http://www.elvish.org/VT/errata.html
      and update it periodically with new errata as they are found.

      As an added incentive (beyond the satisfaction of invaluable service to
      future humanity, that is), the first person to alert me of a genuine but
      previously unnoticed erratum for any issue will receive a complimentary copy
      of the corrected issue when it is next reprinted.

      Oh, please help me out by prefixing VT ERRATUM: to the subject line of any
      erratum report e-mail.

      Thanks!

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |
    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2002
        Carl F. Hostetter wrote on 4 June 2002:

        >There is something in particular that I would like to solicit input on from
        >any readers of _VT_ that are on this list: namely, errata. If you've noticed
        >typos of any sort (spelling, punctuation, grammar, citation error,
        >misquotation, etc.) in any issue of _VT_ (well, 10 and up, since issues
        >earlier than that can only be "reprinted" by photocopying), I want to know
        >about them so that I can correct them in future reprintings.

        If future reprintings are going to be revised, I suggest that this
        fact be stated clearly on the reprints, otherwise confusion will most
        definitely ensue when differing citations from revised and unrevised
        versions start showing up.

        [That's a good suggestion, and one I'll give some thought to how best to
        indicate the fact. Some revisions have, of course, already been silently
        incorporated in various reprintings. Reprintings, by the way, are usually
        able to be distinguished from original printings by the fact that their
        covers are plain paper (i.e., the same paper as the conents); whereas
        original printings used a heavier, textured papers for the cover (only).
        Carl]

        I also suggest that, in addition to posting a complete list of errata
        on the _VT_ website, you should also periodically publish lists of
        newly observed errata in _VT_ itself, for the benefit of those few
        subscribers who do not (or choose not to) have Internet access.

        [Another good suggestion. The problem there is going to be a usual lack of
        space in the printed issues. Carl]

        It would also be a good idea to announce which issues are being
        reissued with a revised text, for the benefit of the die-hard
        completists who would want to have both the old and new versions.

        [At this point, I doubt that I could produce such a list. In any event,
        none of the revisions made to date have been substantive, being limited
        to typos and the like. Corrections of argument or linguistic detail have
        always been made in letters or articles in subsequent issues. Carl]

        This would be an ideal place to note that the second printing of
        _Parma Eldalmaberon_ #11 incorporated a few corrections, and though
        it is clearly labelled as a "second impression", I don't recall that
        the fact that it is a *corrected* edition was announced anywhere. To
        the best of my knowledge, three errors were corrected in the second
        impression:

        p. 23, col. 2, l. 2: "mutatation" > "mutation";
        p. 53, col. 1, l. 13: "_lattta_" > "_latta_";
        back cover: "haprwire" > "harpwire".

        The second impression also included a change in the phone and fax
        information on the back cover, as well as (of course) new printing
        information on the inside of the back cover.

        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

        --Lewis Carroll,
        _Through the Looking-glass_
      • fr3dr1k_s
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
          Arden,

          In VT44, p. 37 n. 3 you write:

          "Another Quenya preposition with a similar form and meaning is
          _epe_ 'after' (VT42:32), seen also in _epesse_ 'after-name'
          (UT:266, XII:339)."

          And on the next page Bill Welden corrects his VT42 article:
          "_epe_ 'after'. The gloss should be 'before'."

          Are both meanings, 'before' and 'after', attested for _epe_ in
          Tolkien's papers?

          /Fredrik

          [Yes. Arden's cross-reference to _VT_ 42 was an editorial oversight, due
          to his article being written and prepared for publication before Bill's
          letter was submitted. The cross-reference to UT and XII, of course, remain
          valid. Carl]
        • Fredrik
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
            >"_epe_ 'after'. The gloss should be 'before'."

            I see. May I ask, then, what was Bill's motivation to correct/change the
            gloss of _epe_?

            (Note that my question concerns the attested meaning(s) of the word _epe_,
            regardless of what may be guessed from the word _epessi_.)

            /Fredrik

            [Short answer: Bill discovered that he'd given the wrong translation for
            _epe_ from the source document in question. Carl]
          • williamwelden
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8, 2002
              --- In lambengolmor@y..., Fredrik <gwaihir@s...> wrote:

              > >"_epe_ 'after'. The gloss should be 'before'."
              >
              > I see. May I ask, then, what was Bill's motivation to correct/change the
              > gloss of _epe_?

              In the document I cited, _epe_ is clearly glossed 'before'. As a
              novice to this sort of work, I glossed the word based on my
              (incorrect) confidence that it meant 'after', without bothering to
              check the reference. I have learned my lesson, and spent quite a few
              hours looking up the references for the work I did in the latest VT.

              --Bill