T. vó prefix?

  • Edward J. Kloczko
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2003
      David Kiltz wrote :

      > However, on XI:367 Tolkien writes "... prefix _vó, vo-_. Perhaps
      > though, since the first isn't followed by a hyphen, it might be the
      > form of a preposition, not a prefix.
      >
      > [That's how I read it, based on Tolkien's normal way of indicating such
      > things. CFH]

      But Tolkien wrote "prefix _vó, vo-_" not "_vó_, prefix _vo-_".
      So far there isn't any Telerin text published with _vó_ used as a
      preposition.

      Edouard Kloczko
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23, 2003
        On Samstag, März 22, 2003, at 03:38 Uhr, Edward J. Kloczko wrote:

        > But Tolkien wrote "prefix _vó, vo-_" not "_vó_, prefix _vo-_".
        > So far there isn't any Telerin text published with _vó_ used as a
        > preposition.

        Yes, indeed. I saw that also. The idea is that he might have meant to
        say _vó_ prefix _vo-_. As Carl points out, the latter is how Tolkien
        usually indicates a prefix. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of
        absence. I simply meant to say that Tolkien's statement leaves room
        for speculation.