Re: ómentie

  • Pavel Iosad
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 20, 2003

      Edouard wrote:

      > But the direct ancestor of Q. _omentie_ could not have had a
      > long _�, because the next following syllable is long

      To which Carl replied:

      > But Tolkien said _normally_ unstressed, not _always_
      > unstressed; and indeed we do see long-long syllable
      > patterns in Quenya [examples follow]

      To which I hasten to add that Quenya possessed a strong, if lower in
      tone, initial stress, and even though in _�entie_ it precedes the main
      stress, it can account for the length of the _� (viz., it would exactly be
      retained if the syllable were long)

      Pavel
      --
      Pavel Iosad pavel_iosad@...

      Is mall a mharcaicheas am fear a bheachdaicheas
      --Scottish proverb
    • Edward J. Kloczko
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 21, 2003
        Pavel Iosad a écrit (regarding the stress pattern of _ómentie_):

        > To which I hasten to add that Quenya possessed a strong, if lower in
        > tone, initial stress, and even though in _ómentie_ it precedes the main
        > stress, it can account for the length of the _ó_ (viz., it would exactly be
        > retained if the syllable were long)

        Quite so, but I did not imply in my post that a word such as _ómentie_ was not
        possible in Quenya.

        My question is quite unrelated to the stress pattern itself, but to "why/how?"
        (?Old) Quenya _ómentie_ > Quenya _omentie_.

        Edouard Kloczko
      • Edward J. Kloczko
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 21, 2003
          Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...> wrote:

          > [But Tolkien said _normally_ unstressed, not _always_ unstressed;

          Tolkien is quite careful when making his own "grammatical rules". He is
          writing for himself and appears to always let some "open doors" (as we say in
          French...) in case he might be needing an exception to his rules.
          Pure Tolkien Rhetoric. :-)

          > and indeed we
          > do see long-long syllable patterns in Quenya, as, for instance, in _únótime_,

          Yes _únótime_ has two long syllables, but I did not imply in my post that such
          a pattern was not permitted in Quenya. Tolkien stated (see WJ, p. 367) that in
          case of the prefix _ó-_ it was shortened to _o-_ in that case, or most of the
          time, and it is not the case for _ú-_, that's all.

          <snip>

          > and in _ósanwe_ 'interchange
          > of thought (between 2 _samat_)' (VT41:5), this last form beginning with
          > the same prefix _ó-_ seen in _ómentie_. Further, it need not be thought
          > that the reduction in stress is not operative within modern Quenya itself,
          > removing the objection of the constrastive development of short *_o-_ vs.
          > long *_ó-_. CFH]

          A word such as _ósanwe_ was a "new compound", made up in Aman, of
          which the word _sanwe_ was clearly recognised by the Eldar.

          Anyway, that does not explain why an (?Old) Quenya _ómentie_ would yield
          _omentie_? Tolkien should have cited _ómentie_ when explaining _omentie_
          in WJ, p. 367. Tolkien wrote "o-mentie" only.

          According to the explanations given by Tolkien in "War of the Jewels", if
          _omentie_ was in the past (Old Quenya) _ómentie_, then the Telerin cognate
          word must have been _wómentie/vómentie_, but instead Tolkien gave
          _womentie/vomentie_.

          Edouard Kloczko
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 21, 2003
            On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 08:14 AM, Edward J. Kloczko wrote:

            > Yes _únótime_ has two long syllables, but I did not imply in my post
            > that such a pattern was not permitted in Quenya.

            Ah, but you did, when you wrote yesterday (in message 369): "the direct
            ancestor of Q. _omentie_ could not have had a long ó, because the next
            following syllable is long: _ent_ (om-ent-i-e); cf. 'this prefix was
            normally unstressed [...] when the next following syllable was long'".

            > A word such as _ósanwe_ was a "new compound", made up in Aman, of
            > which the word _sanwe_ was clearly recognised by the Eldar.

            This is a plausible hypothesis, but you've stated it as a fact. Please
            qualify your hypotheses so as not to seem to be asserting what is in
            fact not certain.

            > Anyway, that does not explain why an (?Old) Quenya _ómentie_ would
            > yield _omentie_? Tolkien should have cited _ómentie_ when explaining
            > _omentie_ in WJ, p. 367. Tolkien wrote "o-mentie" only.

            No one has shown or claimed that _ómentie_ represents an "Old Quenya"
            form (with "Old" in the linguistic sense, i.e., as opposed to Middle or
            Modern). The idea that _ómentie_ may represent an _older_ (but still
            _linguistically Modern_) form of the _omentie_ is based solely on my
            supposition that a questionable word written by Tolkien reads "later".
            I've come to think that "like" (which Anders suggested and I also noted
            as possible) is the more probable reading.

            > According to the explanations given by Tolkien in "War of the Jewels",
            > if _omentie_ was in the past (Old Quenya) _ómentie_, then the Telerin
            > cognate word must have been _wómentie/vómentie_, but instead Tolkien
            > gave _womentie/vomentie_.

            Given that Q _o-_/_ó-_ and T _wo-_/_vo-_ are known to have arisen from
            a variably-lengthened element even in Common Eldarin, I fail to see how
            the Quenya presence or absence of lengthening (due to stress) of the
            prefix in _any_ form of Quenya can have any bearing on the Telerin
            reflex. Telerin may, in the course of its development, simply have
            selected the unlengthened (unstressed) form of the prefix for such
            word-patterns as _womentie_, while Quenya did not.

            Returning to the matter of the two attested forms _omentie_ (XI:367) /
            _ómentie_ (the Sotheby's letter under discussion), both vs.
            _omentielmo_, there are two types of variability we must deal with:
            internal (within Quenya), and external (Tolkien). Hypothesizing reasons
            for a difference between _ómentie_ but _omentielmo_ is not difficult,
            since the two words have different syllable patterns. Thus a purely
            internal variation seems quite sufficient. But for _omentie_ vs.
            _ómentie_, while we can somewhat more vaguely construct a purely
            internal hypothesis (basically, by simply appealing to the known
            variability of stress in prefixes and chalking it up to individual
            usage), we must also recognize that Tolkien was not always consistent
            in marking vowel length, even within the same documents. Thus, for
            instance, as I noted in my editorial notes on the _Ósanwe-kenta_
            (VT39), Tolkien wrote both _osanwe_ and _ósanwe_ in that essay.

            ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
            Ars longa, vita brevis.
          • Hans Georg Lundahl
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 21, 2003
              Ecrit M. Kloczko:

              "My question is quite unrelated to the stress pattern itself, but to "why/how?"
              (?Old) Quenya _ómentie_ > Quenya _omentie_."

              Well - how come Old Latin _mammilla_ becomes Latin _mamilla_? If you drum
              the rhythm with your finger tips on the table, or try to say the longer version
              quickly and repeatedly (as a loose approximation of real life repeated but
              dispersed use in quick talking tempo), you would get as good an idea thereof
              as by using the scientific terms allegro form. Goes both for Quenya and Latin
              examples, though long-long-short-short is more tolerable than long-long-short
              with stress on second long syllable. Remember [reemember > rymember]:
              language was a kind of MUSIC to the inveterate poet and metricist JRRT!

              Hans Georg Lundahl

              Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 21, 2003
                On Freitag, März 21, 2003, at 02:35 Uhr, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

                > Given that Q _o-_/_ó-_ and T _wo-_/_vo-_ are known to have arisen from
                > a variably-lengthened element even in Common Eldarin, I fail to see how
                > the Quenya presence or absence of lengthening (due to stress) of the
                > prefix in _any_ form of Quenya can have any bearing on the Telerin
                > reflex. Telerin may, in the course of its development, simply have
                > selected the unlengthened (unstressed) form of the prefix for such
                > word-patterns as _womentie_, while Quenya did not.

                Indeed the Sindarin development may point to Telerin having dropped the
                lengthened form (while maintaining the distinction stressed/unstressed).
                The stressed form Sindarin _gwa-_ goes back to _wo_. I think we would
                expect _au_ < *_ó_.

                This is, of course, no proof, but it may be an indication.

                However, on XI:367 Tolkien writes "... prefix _vó, vo-_. Perhaps
                though, since the first isn't followed by a hyphen, it might be the
                form of a preposition, not a prefix.

                [That's how I read it, based on Tolkien's normal way of indicating such
                things. CFH]

                Couldn't it be that Tolkien simply wrote _ómentie_ in order to clarify
                the segments, knowing well that, as soon as the word was actually
                formed, the first _ó_ would be shortened?

                As for _ósanwe_. What if the second syllable isn't long ? Well, since
                we have seen that C+y forms position, at least in cases like _onye_
                etc. that doesn't really seem likely.

                Lastly, does word formation play a role? What if _omentie_ is: _omenta_
                > _omentie_ (i.e. an abstract derived from a verb) while _ósanwe_ is
                _ó_+_sanwe_ (i.e. a prefix + a noun).

                David Kiltz
              • Beregond. Anders Stenström
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 22, 2003
                  Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

                  > . . . my supposition that a questionable word written by Tolkien
                  > reads "later". I've come to think that "like" (which Anders suggested
                  > and I also noted as possible) is the more probable reading.

                  It is satisfactory to see the general coincidence of our readings,
                  and also of our conjectures as to the hidden words.
                  Carl's conjecture "understood" in line 6 indeed sounds more
                  natural than my "unneeded".
                  The word "like" looks clear to my eyes, even though I see no
                  dot over the supposed "i" (I have made an enlarged scan from the
                  photo in the catalogue). If my guess is right that it is followed by a
                  citation of comparable classic prefixes (two of them, judging from
                  the expected length of the hidden text), my suggestion "con-, syn-"
                  is still only one in a range of similar readings: in WJ QE A *WO
                  Sindarin:1 (WJ:367) Tolkien glossed S _gwa-_, _go-_ as "together,
                  co-, com-", so "co-, com-" may have been what he wrote to Peter
                  Alford as well.

                  [Anders has an advantage over me, in that I was reading from the
                  scan found on the Sotheby's web site. In further support of the
                  reading "like", I can attest from long (and occasionally bitter!)
                  experience that Tolkien very frequently does not dot his "i"s when
                  writing with any haste. CFH]

                  Meneg suilaid,

                  Beregond
                  [Anders Stenstr�m]
                • Edward J. Kloczko
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 22, 2003
                    Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

                    > Given that Q _o-_/_ó-_ and T _wo-_/_vo-_ are known to have arisen from
                    > a variably-lengthened element even in Common Eldarin,

                    That is not how I interpret the text in WJ. The root in CE is written _WO_ with
                    a short _o_. The usual lengthening of _o_ is presented as a development in
                    the CE _word_ wô only; _wo-_ is stated to be a prefix, there is no CE prefix
                    _wô-_ apparently at that time, from my understanding.

                    The lengthening of prefix _wo-_ > _wô-_ looks to be quite a late development
                    (internal time) (?)in Beleriand just prior to the "voyage" to Aman(?).

                    > Thus, for
                    > instance, as I noted in my editorial notes on the _ósanwe-kenta_
                    > (VT39), Tolkien wrote both _osanwe_ and _ósanwe_ in that essay.

                    That is a strong argument for the coexistence of Q. _ómentie_ and
                    _omentie_ at the same internal time.

                    Edouard Kloczko
                  • Edward J. Kloczko
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 22, 2003
                      Hans Georg Lundahl a écrit:

                      > Ecrit M. Kloczko:
                      >
                      > "My question is quite unrelated to the stress pattern itself, but to "why/how?"
                      > (?Old) Quenya _ómentie_ > Quenya _omentie_."
                      >
                      > Well - how come Old Latin _mammilla_ becomes Latin _mamilla_?

                      _mammilla_ > _mamilla_ shows the usual and well known Latin internal geminated
                      consonant simplification after a long vowel, as _*seddolod_ > _sedulo_; or
                      _*sed-cubo_ > _*seccubo_ > _secubo_, etc. This phenomenon goes as well for the
                      Germanic as you pointed out in your post but not in Ancient Greek.

                      In Quenya we are dealing with an initial long vowel shortening.

                      Edouard Kloczko
                    • Hans Georg Lundahl
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 22, 2003
                        "Edward J. Kloczko" <ejk@...> wrote:

                        > _mammilla_ > _mamilla_ shows the usual and well known Latin internal geminated
                        > consonant simplification after a long vowel, as _*seddolod_ > _sedulo_; or
                        > _*sed-cubo_ > _*seccubo_ > _secubo_, etc. This phenomenon goes as well for the
                        > Germanic as you pointed out in your post but not in Ancient Greek.
                        >
                        > In Quenya we are dealing with an initial long vowel shortening.

                        Pas du tout. Not at all. The vowels in _mamilla_ are all short. Just like the vowels in
                        primitive _mamma_ (which does not mean 'mother', but if I recall correctly, 'female
                        breast' -- _mamilla_ means 'nipple'). The reason cannot therefore be any clash
                        between long vowel and long consonant. On _sedulo_ I pass. As for _secubo_ you
                        may be right or the composition may be later than the fall of d in _sed-_. But in
                        _mamilla_, we have a long syllable shortened precisely because it is pretonic --
                        not that this shortening is absolutly regular, rather it is sporadic (a Jung-grammarian
                        would say: often reversed by analogy). At least that is the account of _mammilla_ >
                        _mamilla_ given by the learned Stowasser, and you have not disproven it. Is the Greek
                        cognate -- if any -- a word in letter _eta_ (Ionic-Attic dialect group)?

                        If -- as is most probable -- the explanation of short first syllable in _mamilla_ is
                        rhythmic, the rhythmic feeling of mature Latin -- the relevance to Quenya, which
                        borrows nearly all of Latin prosody (not the muta cum liquida exception, nor the
                        accent on last syllable when followed by an enclitic word, but the rest), is obvious
                        -- except that more learned eldalambengolmor than myself are saying that the
                        root of that prefix was originally short. But even then: a reason for shortening in
                        one language may be a reason for not lengthening in another.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 22, 2003
                          On Saturday, March 22, 2003, at 09:46 AM, Edward J. Kloczko wrote:

                          > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                          >
                          >> Given that Q _o-_/_ó-_ and T _wo-_/_vo-_ are known to have arisen
                          >> from a variably-lengthened element even in Common Eldarin,
                          >
                          > That is not how I interpret the text in WJ. The root in CE is written
                          > _WO_ with a short _o_. The usual lengthening of _o_ is presented as a
                          > development in the CE _word_ wô only; _wo-_ is stated to be a prefix,
                          > there is no CE prefix _wô-_ apparently at that time, from my
                          > understanding.

                          Edouard is correct that the root *WO (XI:367; no CE prefix form *_wo-_
                          is actually cited there) underlying the Quenya prefix _ó-_ / _o-_ is
                          not stated in _Quendi and Eldar_ to have been variably lengthened.
                          However, its CE reflexes, the independent and length- (and perhaps
                          stress-) contrastive words *_wô_ and *_wo_ [? stands for macron], are
                          cited as a pair elsewhere in _Q&E_ (XI:366). We are also told (367)
                          that *WO "does not remain in Q as an independent word", but is "a
                          frequent prefix in the form _ó-_ (usually reduced to _o-_ when
                          unstressed)". Taken together, this suggests that the Quenya prefix _ó-_
                          is _in origin_ a reflex of the CE independent word *_wô_, and that its
                          shortened counterpart _o-_ is _in origin_ a reflex of CE *_wo_ (though
                          with much subsequent leveling of forms in Quenya due to stress
                          patterns).

                          As further support for this, note that the _Etymologies_ tells us that:
                          "In Q the form _wô_, and the unstressed _wo_ [there is a breve in the
                          text], combined to produce prefix [_o-_ / _ô-_] 'together'" (V:399 s.v.
                          WÔ-).

                          It does appear, then, that a length- (and stress-?) contrastive pair of
                          CE words *_wô_, *_wo_ underlies the variably lengthened and stressed
                          Quenya prefix _ó-_ / _o-_.

                          --