Re: The Telerin word "gâialâ"

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2003
      --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "tchitrec" <Tchitrec@a...> wrote:

      > I wonder if _gâialâ_ is not a scribal mistake for *gâiâla, Tolkien
      > inadvertantly putting a macron on the third rather than the second a?

      Probabaly it is a typo (not a scribal error of Tolkien) for _gâiala_.
      In such difficult matters, the typos are not a rare find, and are most
      unfortunate.

      [There certainly are typographical errors in the published texts, but in
      fact they are surprisingly few, considering the nature of the texts and
      the fact that the vast majority of the texts were typeset by publishers
      with no linguistic training to speak of. CFH]

      For example, _Peoples of Middle-earth_ has a few typos: as on p. 392
      _Nôwê_ but Index p. 470 _Nôwë_; which is most probably the correct
      spelling. Or is it? It is said to be "archaic" in form (ibid. p. 392).
      It could be a "Common Telerin" form with a long final vowel.

      Edouard Kloczko