Re: _hr-_ in Quenya

  • Petri Tikka
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7 5:06 AM
      Pavel Iosad tence:

      > Petri Tikka wrote:
      >
      > > Yes, there was probably no _kr-_ in PQ, or at later stages before
      > > Quenya. I mean possible loan words, since the cluster couldn't be
      > > understood. By analogy with the only similar example _sr-_, initial
      > > unvoiced consonant followed by _r_, _kr-_ would be changed to _hr-_.
      >
      > It could be lost altogether.

      Without the example _Hristo_ < _Christus_ (VT44:16,18), that would
      be a convincing arguement. The example is what I base my hypothesis on,
      otherwise that would be perfectly sensible and expectable. Please
      remember the previous posts of a thread, arguments don't exist
      without context.

      > It might be noted that the only non-Eldarin language from which Quenya
      > is known to have borrowed is Khuzdul

      Only Khuzdul? What about _María_ < Latin _Maria_ (VT43:28)?

      [There is also Valarin; see XI:397-407. -- PHW]

      >(well, there's the Druedain - what

      And what a surprise! That language does have a "consonant cluster in
      anlaut": _Drughu_ (UT:385).

      > would you suggest the Quenya borrowing be, BTW?),

      I was writing about _Hristo_, or this thread wouldn't have arisen.

      [To answer Pavel's (perhaps rhetorical) question -- _Drughu_
      was adopted into Q. as _Rú_ and _Rúatan_, pl. _Rúatani_
      (UT:385 n.6). Compare this to DARÁK- > _*d'râk_, which
      yielded Q. _ráka_ 'wolf' (V:354). -- PHW]

      > and no attested Khuzdul word has a consonant cluster in anlaut. Neither
      > do most Semitic languages, by the way.

      That's not relevant, since Quenya is known to have borrowed from Latin
      and Greek, internally or externally (of Tolkien's fiction).

      Petri Tikka Helsinki, Finland
      kari.j.tikka@...
      http://www.geocities.com/petristikka/