A tree : the lebethron (addition)

  • Didier Willis
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2003
      I wrote:

      > there is also a Quercus digitata, "Finger oak / Spanish oak",
      > in French Chêne de doigt, German Finger-Eiche. This one might even better
      > fit the probable etymology of Lebethron, but I wasn't able to find any
      > good picture, nor an explanation of its name.

      Thanks to a friend, I was pointed that Quercus digitata is also annotated
      as Quercus falcata and Quercus rubra in various taxonomy lists, thus
      apparently referring to different types of (Southern) Spanish (Red) oaks.

      Here is a picture of the 'fingered' leaf of a Quercus falcata:
      http://www.victorianvilla.com/sims-mitchell/local/nature/trees/09-image.gif

      "Spanish oak" is indeed a very dark color, esp. compared to a few other oaks:
      http://www.woodfinishingsupplies.com/blond-it_colors.jpg

      I thought this additional information might help the discussion. I have
      nearly no knowledge in botany, so all these names are begin to puzzle me ;-)

      As an aside note, in my previous message about lebendron ?< leben + doron,
      I forgot to mentioned that lebethras could also point toward LEPET+STAR,
      cf. _tharn_ (Ilk. _thrón_) "rigid, stiff, sapless, withered" (V:388) as
      well as other derivatives -- But that doesn't seem very convincing to me
      ("hard fingers" ??). Or even toward _ras_ "horn", who knows...

      Didier.