the Atalante fragments

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2003
      [This letter is being sent to elfling, lambengolmor and tolklang,
      because some people may be members of one list but are not (do not
      want to be) members of other list(s). Sorry for the multiple letters
      -- ab]

      I would like to inform you that I have uploaded my analysis of the
      _Atalante_ fragments on my site elm. Here is the url:

      http://www.elvish.org/elm/atalante.rtf

      What is meant by the _Atalante_ fragments are several fragmentary
      sentences describing the Downfall of NĂºmenor. They exist in a number
      of versions in _The Lost Road and Other Writings_ (pps. 47, 56) and
      _Sauron Defeated_ (pps. 246-7, 309-11, 311-3 + frontispieces). I
      tried to compare them and analyze particular words of the Fragments.

      Some versions of the Fragments in SD are bilingual: they are written
      in Quenya and Adunaic. My analysis, however, focuses only on the
      Quenya part, though the Adunaic part is occassionally mentioned.
      I was thinking about including an analysis of the Adunaic part, but
      I decided not to in the end. The main reason was that we know quite
      little about Adunaic and the analysis would be full of unfounded
      guesses. Another reason was that an analysis of it already existed:
      it was written by Lalaith and can be found here:
      http://rover.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~lalaith/Tolkien/Grammar.html
      I and Lalaith consulted almost everything, I agree with him in the
      majority of cases.

      Finally, I would like to note that I was long undecided whether to
      publish the analysis. It is somewhat long and perhaps even wordy.
      Nevertheless, I decided to publish it in the end, because I spent
      a lot of time working on it; perhaps someone will find it
      interesting and useful.

      At any rate, I would like to hear your opinions, comments,
      suggestions and corrections.

      Ales Bican

      ps. Besides the analysis, there are other updates on my site: I added
      a few of my Quenya poems, but in particular I would like to direct
      your attention to a new a-less Quenya poem by Kirsten Eivor Bekkhus:
      http://www.elvish.org/elm/aplay.html#kirsten
      So far the longest a-less Quenya text!

      --
      I watch, I wait, I wonder... (sunscreem, _change_)