Re: Quenya aorist

  • atarinke <martin.blom@chello.se>
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
      Lukas Novak wrote:

      > This is one interpretation. Is not there another possible one, namely
      > that the aorist is used in a sense not excluding temporal determination,
      > but merely abstracting from it, not expressing it, leaving the job to
      > the "luumesse" [snip]

      to which Patrick Wynne responded:

      > Certainly this is a _possible_ alternative interpretation, though I
      > wouldn't say it's a _probable_ one, because -- again --it assumes
      > that _l├║messe_ 'on the hour' somehow inherently points to a single
      > incident in present time.

      While I agree that 'on the hour' may not necessarily point to a single
      incident in time, the hour we are talking about is specified by an
      attribute ('the hour of our meeting') which seems quite exact to me.
      And even disregarding that, Novak's point still holds, that the aorist
      is maybe used not to exclude temporal determination, but merely to not
      give any, something not unheard of in real languages (Chinese for
      instance almost never has to).

      ta-dam
      Martin Blom